Entourage Rustic review by Seagull

Seagull: Entourage Rustic

I like music that has a mellow, somewhat dark feel, so this guitar is perfect for me. Very clear bass response without being boomy or overpowering. Strumming open chords, you can hear everything from top to bottom. I would put the sound between spruce and mahogany. Not overly loud when strummed. Perfect for a solo guitarist or a back up guitarist. Probably not the best for someone needing to be heard over other musicians. Very responsive to fingerpicking. Nice, rich, bell-like tone when played with nails. I love the sound of these tone woods, but it is a different tone than your everyday spruce/mahogany guitars, so try one first before buying.

My impression of this guitar is that its fantastic. I won't say its a good guitar for the money because its far better than that. These are no bling instruments so every dollar you spend is going towards tone and playability. I would be this guitar in the ranks with guitars in price up to $800. I can't say there's any guitar below that price that is for sure definitively "better".

I can see this guitar showing some battle scars in the future. Cedar is a very soft wood so if you knock it against something its gonna dent and scratch. The satin finish adds to this fact. For me its a fair trade considering those are the same reasons it has the beautiful tone that it does. The build quality feels excellent. The guys at Seagull know how to build a guitar. It feels very solid.

I can't find a thing wrong with mine. The action out of the box is perfect for me. I don't think it could go any lower without buzzing. The finish is very well done and even; no pools or runs. Frets are nicely dressed with no ends sticking out (no neck binding). Neck is perfectly straight and very smooth. Very comfortable sliding up and down the neck.

My Entourage was made in 2011. North American made in Canada. Short scale 14 fret maple neck. The top is made from solid Cedar and has a 3 layer all Wild Cherry back and sides. Its done in a beautiful rustic burst satic finish. Mine has no electronic. Average die cast tuners that hold tune well. I got a gig bag with mine. Tusq nut and saddle come stock on these guitars.

joshg24
    I went to my guitar shop to buy a Taylor 400 series. I was playing a few guitars in the shop just to be sure the Taylor was the right choice. I picked up a Entourage Rustic CW without really looking at it much and thought "Wow, this sounds and feels great". Then I looked at the $450 price tag versus the $1800 for the Taylor and there was no way I could justify spending that much more on the Taylor. I won't say this guitar is just as good as Taylor, but it's pretty close in my opinion. Even after a few months playing the Seagull I still love it. If you want amazing value, buy this.
    rv_phoenix
    I have the cutaway version of this guitar. No doubt it's a wonderful instrument, full of warmth, sparkling and authentic. But it doesn't worth straight 10s. Despite the careful finish, mine came with some fret buzz. The QI isn't as performant as Takamine's graphic EQ. Original strings, of an excellent sound quality, were very tough. I replaced them with some Elixir Lights and now it sounds great and plays much better. Much of the fret buzz has disappeared, but I'll take it to a guitar tech some day, for some finesse adjustments. I'd give it a 9.
    phurya
    I also bought this guitar from Musicstore of Germany, for 313EUR, (i'm from Portugal), killer price for such a great guitar...Plays great, I just installed a Fishman onboard system on it, bone saddle, nut and pins, some truss rod adjustments to lower a litle bit for better action, and no complaints so far, the only con I see is how easy it is to scratch and dent this guitar, but I do know cedar tops are just like that, so be carefull...threat her right and you will have a great and really beautifull guitar!