Entourage Rustic review by Seagull

Seagull: Entourage Rustic

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: store

This guitar is made in Québec Canada, by Godin, a very well respected maker of acoustic and electric guitars (Godin A6, 5th Avenue, etc.). Has a solid cedar top, wild cherry back and maple neck. Overall, very good materials for a budget guitar. There are no bells and whistles here but decent materials, a solid top and quality wood make for a good product in the end.

The nut width on this guitar is 1.72 inches. It has 22 frets, no cutaway and a polished satin finish. It did not come with a gig bag, straps or any other accessories. The QiT version comes with Godin electronics and a built in tuner.

I play country mostly and this guitar really gives me that nice bright tone. I don't like guitars which provide too much bass and keep the sounds muffled. This 6 string is bright without sounding tinny and projects very nicely in an outdoor setting. It is very well suited to fret work as the neck is narrow, similar to an electric guitar. Also, I find the body size just right. It is 19.8 inches long, 15.87 inches wide and 4.9 inches thick.

I haven't tested the acoustic-electric version (QiT) so I can not comment on the "plugged in" qualities.

From the factory, this guitar was very well set up. The action was nice and low, neck was straight, hasn't required any truss rod adjustments in over 3 years. No fret buzzing anywhere either. The polished finish of the guitar is quite beautiful but may lead to some quicker wear. At least they chose to place a pick guard which in my opinion is a wise decision on any satin finish. The string pegs are a bit loose and can easily get pulled out which changing strings but other than that, the bridge is solid, and well built.

The hardware (tuners) are holding up real well, they keep the guitar in tune even if left un-played for a few months. I do find that the satin finish is starting to take a beating from the repeated strumming. That may also be down to playing too hard on the strings at times. A semi-gloss, or gloss top would have been preferred to prolong the life of the guitar...mainly the top. The strap buttons (although I seldom use them) are solidly attached and well positioned. The guitar is nice and light and easy to carry around. I think this guitar is very reliable and would hold its own during a gig (QiT version).

This guitar is top notch in the entry level price range. I would challenge anyone to find a better sounding, better playing guitar under 450$ CAD. Godin are blue-chip guitar makers, all their products are well set up, play well and provide great bang for the buck. This guitar is no exception. I used to have a 1500$ Takamine and this guitar captures the same feel and sound as that much more expensive guitar. My only complaint would be the satin finish. While it is beautiful, it wears faster. Also, had I known I'd love it so much, I would have purchased the QIT version (acoustic electric).