S6+ CW Cedar GT review by Seagull

Seagull: S6+ CW Cedar GT

Purchased from: local pawn shop

I play a very wide variety of music, from 90's alternative, country, and jam. This guitar can play them all and it sounds great, which makes this guitar suit my style pretty good. I don't personally play with it plugged in but when it is, the pick up leaves the sound just as you would hear it with it not pluged in. The pick up can be a bit sensitive if you have the volume turned up to loud(as with most electric acoustic). It has a very nice deep, rich tone. Perfect for any Acoustic playing, yet can be bright if you play with the controls when its plugged in, and can create a range of different sounds, from the blues/ rock sound of Mike McCready to Dave Matthews and Hank Williams Jr. It produces a nice warm sound when finger picking, not a muffled sound like others.

This is an amazing instrument. It sounds great and covers a wide variety of genres. I have been playing for over a year now and I prefer this guitar over my friends Ibanez and Alvarez acoustics. If this guitar was stolen, I would use the insurance money to go out and buy the the exact same model. I would also search every nearby pawn shop till the day I die haha. I could never separate myself from this guitar and will keep it around for a long time. My favorite feature is the wider fretboard which makes Acoustic playing a lot more enjoyable. I also enjoy the cutaway design, it makes those Pearl Jam riffs a lot easier to play. If I could do one thing to this guitar I would update my electronics. A built in tuner would be nice, but this is an older model. But overall this is an amazing guitar and would recommend it to anybody, no matter what your skill level is.

Without a doubt this guitar would withstand live playing. The entire guitar was handmade buy people who actually take pride in their instruments, not by some 10 year old in Taiwan. This guitar was meant to last. The strap buttons are pretty solid as long as you have a good strap. This guitar is a product of superior craftsmanship and is a very dependable guitar and I would feel very comfortable playing without a back up. So far the finish has held up with my heavy playing and I have had no problems.

As I said, I picked this guitar up at a pawn shop in town, so I'm not sure how it sounded from the factory. But none the less, it sounded great from coming from the pawn shop. All it needed was a good dusting, and some new strings (I prefer D'Addario Phosphor Bronze light gauge). The finish is still in great condition. About the the only problem I have with this guitar is the person who used it before me used a heavier gauge string than I prefer, which wore down the nut, but that's a cheap fix.

Seagull Guitars is a member of the Godin Guitar Family. It was handmade in LaPatrie, Quebec, Canada. An electric Acoustic guitar, it has a cutaway body style with a 21 fret rosewood fretboard and bridge. It has a solid Cedar top, Wild Cherry sides and back with silver leaf maple for the neck. The electronics are the Godin Quantum II model with volume, bass, treble and mic controls, with a amp plug in/ strap button on the bottom. Runs off of a 9 volt battery.

Hells.Mascot
    Banjocal wrote: Mate: NO guitar in that sort of price range has that sort of tone, or amazing sustain. and you bought it at guitar centre, possibly the shittest music shop on the face of the earth. you clearly have never picked up a high end guitar. having played this model, or one similar some times ago, i can tell you that the sustain is AVERAGE. pick up a high end martin and listen to it. they have amazing sustain.
    Martins are handmade. They don't always have great sustain. Some of their models (yes, even high-end ones) aren't known for having great sustain. With that said, they're the best of the non-boutique acoustics.
    moonshot
    Hey Banjocal. I wasn't comparing this guitar to a high end Martin or Taylor. I was comparing it to other guitars in it's price range. And yes I have picked up high end Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Ovation and lots of other expensive and beautiful guitars. All at GUITAR CENTER. So F$CK you if you don't like them!
    scorpio2billion
    You're wrong. Seagulls beat the tone of guitars costing 3 times their price. I have a Gibson Songwriter that collects dust since I got my Seagull. And what does where he bought have to do with the guitar itself? The sustain is far from average, not that anyone dwells on that aspect of an acoustic.
    moonshot
    Believe this review! I bought this guitar after playing many acoustics in the $400.00 to $500.00 price range at GC and this one won hands down for quality, sound and just total play ability. It has a beautiful singing quality to the tone due to it's amazing SUSTAIN. Too bad Seagull doesn't make this exact model anymore.
    Banjocal
    It's a good instrument and all, but this review is biased. If people wrote reviews based on how good instruments are instead of how much they like them, there would be very few 10/10's. I would give one of these a 6/1, which is above average. I don't own one, but I have tried a friends for a period of time.
    Banjocal