S6+ CW Cedar GT Review

7.9
 10,540
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
S6+ CW Cedar GT Reviewed by: traildude07, on august 18, 2010

Purchased from: local pawn shop

Features: Seagull Guitars is a member of the Godin Guitar Family. It was handmade in LaPatrie, Quebec, Canada. An electric Acoustic guitar, it has a cutaway body style with a 21 fret rosewood fretboard and bridge. It has a solid Cedar top, Wild Cherry sides and back with silver leaf maple for the neck. The electronics are the Godin Quantum II model with volume, bass, treble and mic controls, with a amp plug in/ strap button on the bottom. Runs off of a 9 volt battery. // 10

Sound: I play a very wide variety of music, from 90's alternative, country, and jam. This guitar can play them all and it sounds great, which makes this guitar suit my style pretty good. I don't personally play with it plugged in but when it is, the pick up leaves the sound just as you would hear it with it not pluged in. The pick up can be a bit sensitive if you have the volume turned up to loud(as with most electric acoustic). It has a very nice deep, rich tone. Perfect for any Acoustic playing, yet can be bright if you play with the controls when its plugged in, and can create a range of different sounds, from the blues/ rock sound of Mike McCready to Dave Matthews and Hank Williams Jr. It produces a nice warm sound when finger picking, not a muffled sound like others. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said, I picked this guitar up at a pawn shop in town, so I'm not sure how it sounded from the factory. But none the less, it sounded great from coming from the pawn shop. All it needed was a good dusting, and some new strings (I prefer D'Addario Phosphor Bronze light gauge). The finish is still in great condition. About the the only problem I have with this guitar is the person who used it before me used a heavier gauge string than I prefer, which wore down the nut, but that's a cheap fix. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Without a doubt this guitar would withstand live playing. The entire guitar was handmade buy people who actually take pride in their instruments, not by some 10 year old in Taiwan. This guitar was meant to last. The strap buttons are pretty solid as long as you have a good strap. This guitar is a product of superior craftsmanship and is a very dependable guitar and I would feel very comfortable playing without a back up. So far the finish has held up with my heavy playing and I have had no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing instrument. It sounds great and covers a wide variety of genres. I have been playing for over a year now and I prefer this guitar over my friends Ibanez and Alvarez acoustics. If this guitar was stolen, I would use the insurance money to go out and buy the the exact same model. I would also search every nearby pawn shop till the day I die haha. I could never separate myself from this guitar and will keep it around for a long time. My favorite feature is the wider fretboard which makes Acoustic playing a lot more enjoyable. I also enjoy the cutaway design, it makes those Pearl Jam riffs a lot easier to play. If I could do one thing to this guitar I would update my electronics. A built in tuner would be nice, but this is an older model. But overall this is an amazing guitar and would recommend it to anybody, no matter what your skill level is. // 10

Comments