Pro Flame Maple review by Simon & Patrick

Simon & Patrick: Pro Flame Maple

Purchased from: Rombeaux

I play mostly, on this guitar, fingerstyle, rock and some other stuff. It suits it extremely well. I fitted it, since I bought it, with elixir phosphor bronze strings. That takes a little bit of the very warm sound of the guitar away, but then again they sound much brighter. It has got a really rich sound and wonderful sustain. You wouldn't have to amplify this guitar very quickly because it's loud enough as it is.

For what I use it for I don't think there is a better guitar, and the price I paid is much locer than what it's actually worth. I mostley play fingerstyle and soft rock, from artist like Jose Gonzalez, Andy Mckee, Craigh D'andrea, Antoine Dufour, Coldplay. I have two other guitars, an Epiphone (electric) and Richwood, but they just don't come close to this guitar. If it was stolen I would definatley buy another one. In the shop I compared it with a Landola, Seagull, Cort, and an ART&Lutherie. Besides the ART & Lutherie nothing even came close to this one, I think that shows that Canadian guiars are the best acoustics you can buy. Certainly for what I'm looking for in a guitar (warm, rich sound). I found that most american brands have more of a harsher and rougher sound in their acoustics. I eventually chose it because of the look of the flamed maple sides and back, wich is just stunning.

This guitar would most definately withstand a gig, you could perfectly go to a gig without a back-up. It's just so well crafted. The hardware seems like it could last forever. There's only one thing that's abit anoying, and that's the fact that there is only one strapbutton (the one at the back). So I have to put my strap around the head with a shoelace. So it sometimes gets in the way while playing. Only the finish on the top could be a little bit thicker, cause now it seems it would wear off when you play a lot.

Since I bought it, I just put new strings on it and a pickguard. Besides that this guitar was perfect, for me atleast. The action is perfect for me, not to high and not to low. The neck is just so smooth when you play it. It's not coated or anything you can stil feel all the details in the wood so it has very nice feeling. I didn't really contain any big flaws. I did found that the gold hardware isn't as shiny as it should be and some of the glue came from underneath the bridge. But other than that it was perfectly finished.

I suspect the guitar was made in 2006, I'm not sure though, in La Patrie, Cananda. It's a handbuilt guitar, and it's a really beautiful dreadnought. It's got a solid spruce top with a high-gloss finish and flamed maple back and sides. The finish is a bit thin though, so I put a transluscent pickguard on it so you can still see the wood. It's a laquer based on alcohol (that's wath the salesman said) so it allows the wood to 'breath' and age. So it would only sound better the more you play it. It's got a bolt on neck and the fingerboard is made of a nice dark rosewood and the nut and saddle are tusq. The tuners are gold, don't know wich brand, but they are very good because I don't have to tune the guitar very often. The shop gave an gigbag with it and I also got a set of d'addario phosphor bronze extra light strings.

mdsmith1
    ufossuck
    mdsmith1 wrote: Kinda missed the point i guess though. It does sound like a decent guitar. But is it really that awesome to get this high of a rating?
    Simon and Patrick guitars are amazing. This from someone who owns two of their midrange models. This is one of the high ends.
    JimiHendrix574
    i love my simon and patrick, they are so beautiful. Art &luthiere are the same company as Simon and patrick so thats probably why it came close.
    harveyn
    Just bought a used one. Nice action, Not overly loud but clear as a bell.Also, love the solid 3 piece d-35 esque back.
    harveyn
    Just bought a used one. Lovely clear tone and decent bass.Not overly loud . I love the D-35 esque 3 piece back.
    handleyj
    Seagull, A&L and S&P are all the same parent company and all made in the same area of Qubec.