SC Mahogany Review

manufacturer: Simon & Patrick date: 05/23/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Simon & Patrick: SC Mahogany
This wonder of Canadian craftsmanship, as with all Showcase guitars, features a solid spruce, compound curve top, whose optimal response is achieved and supported by scalloped, extra light, Adirondack spruce bracing.
 9.4
 9.7
 4,507
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
SC Mahogany Reviewed by: vanligthyfs, on may 23, 2006

Features: It is, like all S&P guitars, made in canada. I am not quite sure, but I believe mine was made 2005. It's a Dreadnought with relatively short scale (24.84"), fourteen frets clear plus another seven and a 1.72 inch nut. Triple AAA graded solid spruce compound curve top, inlaid wood rosette and solid mahogany sides and back. Honduras mahogany neck with indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge, the fingerboard is inlayed with pearl dots on the bass E string side. Machineheads are S&P 14:1 gold machines with cream knobs. Electronics are B-band 4.2 with knobs for bass, mid, treble, volume and a blender between the internal condenser microphone and the under saddle transducer. The two microphones also have individual gain controls. Other than ebony fingerboard and bridge, there is not much more I would wish from an electric acoustic. Fort EPP case (a sort of lightweight hardcase, very nice indeed) included with all S&P SC guitars, perhaps other models as well. The guys at this particular store were kind enough to include a humidifier as well. // 9

Sound: The sound is big. I was originally looking for a jumbo when I came across this one. Okay, it can't really substitute a jumbo, but not far from it. It's very rich as well as balanced, with ample bass, but not too much. Perfectly suited for singer/songwriter and similar styles, possibly lacking a wee little bit in response when fingerpicking. Other than that, it's excellent, as long as you don't mind the guitar taking up space in the soundscape. It's natural sound is just as good as Martins twice the price tag or more. From what I've heard, the B-band two-way combo is considered one of the best sounding on the market, and for good reasons. It simply sounds great over the entire range. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Apart from a change of strings, I have nothing bad to say about the shape in which it was sold. The design is very beautyful. Clean and simple, yet enough decoration to make it interesting. I'm especially fond of the rosewood faced headstock with the S&P logo inlayed in mother of pearl and abalone. String action suits me well, but some players might want to lower it a little. There was no problem with mine, nor with the rosewood one they had at the store, but I have read a review suggesting that frets may have some minor flaws, not affecting playability though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: One of the knobs on the B-band preamp is slightly wiggly, and overall, they stick up a bit too much, making them seem a bit vulnerable to me. I don't suppose it will break in the first place though, and that is the only part of the electronics or, indeed, the guitar that seems more liable to break than regular. I handle my instruments with care and love, so I expect it last a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: As already said, it's a perfect guitar for singer/songwriter or any other genre as long as it isn't in too large an ensemble. It's my second electric acoustic, the first being an Ibanez JX (MASA predecessor). Was it stolen, I would get another one just like it, unless I miraculously found myself with more than double the amount of money, in the case of which I would consider a Takamine Cool Tube Jumbo (TF250SMC). But for this price, nothing I've tried (which is quite a lot) comes even close. // 9

Comments