Woodland Cedar A3T Review

manufacturer: Simon & Patrick date: 03/28/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Simon & Patrick: Woodland Cedar A3T
Solid Cedar top, laminated red Wild Cherry back/sides and rosewood fingerboard/bridge. Has a nice satin finish which I love since it's soft to the touch. Came with a B-Band A3T pickup which has a 4 band EQ (base, mid, treble, presence) and also a built-in tuner which is really handy.
 8.2
 6.4
 4,842
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Woodland Cedar A3T Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 28, 2012

Price paid: C$ 470

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: Solid Cedar top, laminated red Wild Cherry back/sides and rosewood fingerboard/bridge. Has a nice satin finish which I love since it's soft to the touch... And you can move your hand freely along the neck a lot faster than a guitar that has a heavy lacquer finish. Also has pearl inlays and a decent-looking pattern rosette design. My guitar model came with a B-Band A3T pickup which has a 4 band EQ (base, mid, treble, presence) and also a built-in tuner which is really handy. // 10

Sound: Like with all Cedar tops, this guitar has a nice warm mellow sound which I personally prefer over the bright sound of a spruce top. The sound is absolutely incredible! The guitar emanates loudly and it's incredibly responsive to a soft touch. This works well with my finger-pick playing style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar plays as smooth as freshly-churned butter in my hands. The action is bang on and I don't get any fret-buzzing whatsoever. I didn't notice any major flaws on the guitar aside from a very small scratch on the pickguard (even with the protective plastic wrap still on it). This doesn't really bother me much because it's barely noticeable and you'd have to be staring at it really close to even see. All in all, I'm very impressed at Godin's quality control and amazed how well the guitar plays straight from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just bought this guitar, so as far as durability is concerned... We'll see how well it stands up to years of play. I don't gig and will not travel or lug the guitar around, so wear and tear should be very minimal. Because of the lighter satin-finish, I know it will be more susceptible to scratches, dings and dents. But I'm okay with that, and just means I'll be more cautious when handling the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Through my 14 years of guitar-playing experience, I've played many acoustic guitar brands ranging from cheap ass no-name brands to high-end Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Guilds, etc. For the under $500 (before taxes) price range, this is definitely the best bang for your buck. Trust me, you cannot go wrong! With the Simon & Patrick Woodland Cedar A3T... You get a solid top guitar that's hand-crafted in Canada (not some crap manufactured in China) has a good pickup & tuner, looks great, easy to play, and sounds incredible! It is definitely comparable if not better than guitars in the $1000+ price range. // 10

Comments