SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack

Purchased from: Marty's Music

The sound is pretty good for a cheap guitar, but does have some problems. There isn't very much bass to the sound, its not twangy either. So basically, you have an average sounding guitar, not bad, just...average.

This is a good starter guitar, and I will keep it for awhile. It sounds better than guitar three times its price, but after that I would recommend another guitar. I've played it for 8 months and can honestly say that if you want to start playing guitar, you should look into this, just also get a set-up. If it were lost, I wouldn't get another unless it was for old times sake. If you've been playing for a few years and need a new acoustic, look into something a little more pricey, this probably isn't for you.

This guitar is durable, and withstands a beating from going from place to place all the time. Its a solid piece of equipment and is a good guitar to be used for a gig, its reliable well enough, I don't really worry about it. The finish is pretty long lasting too, with only getting scratches from the worst falls or being drug around by a 2 year old all around the house.

The guitar was badly set-up, I mean really bad. When I bought it I had no idea what a set up was, so I never thought to get it done. You need to, the action is so bad that after 8 months of playing it, I don't have the size callouses you should because they wear off so quickly. Other than that, the strings lasted awhile, and were decent sounding, just stock Fender coated phosphorous.

Feature wise, this guitar is not what I would call loaded with features, but comes with enough that it is a decent guitar in general, and a good starter guitar. This version came out January of 2010, and is the upgrade to the previous pack. The things included with this guitar are 20 frets, a 25.3" scale length, and the wood is laminate agathis back and sides, laminate spruce top, and rosewood fretboard and saddle. The finish is Gloss Polyurethane, dreadnought body shape, the ordinary joe schmoe look to it. No electronics, but does come with nice die cast chrome tuners, they don't go out of tune very often. This was a pack so it came with a Gig Bag, Electronic Tuner, Instruction Book, and some picks.

TheDealer
    I have one of these, made in '03 and still in pretty good shape. Just got new strings and bridge pins, sounds really nice with some D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings, chime-like on the higher strings and warm on the lower strings.
    jeffo46
    I just got mine in today and for the price ( $125.00 ) it's a helluva deal providing you know how to set it up.