SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack review by Squier

Squier: SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack

Purchased from: Al Drew's Music

This is a, I presume a, 2012 or 13 package which was made in China. It came with a electronic tuner, strap, extra set of strings, and a truss rod adjustment tool. The guitar itself, has a I'm guessing, spruce laminate and body with a maple neck & rosewood fret board along with 20 frets. The tuners are die cast which are a welcomed change from when they used to make these with the dreaded chrome covered pieces of shit that would never stay in tune. The weight on this guitar is actually quite comfortable and is definitely worth the price.

I recently sold all of my gear a few months ago because after 40 years, I was just sick and tired of the band scene and dealing with egos, so now I just wanted to go the Acoustic route. I actually like the sound of this guitar once, I took the stock strings off of it, and replaced them with a new set of D'Addario Acoustic 10's. That alone, made a major improvement. To me, this guitar has a nice full sound and is good enough to use for small gigs. Whether I am strumming, picking, or doing some leads with it, it just sounds damn good. I love it.

The action was quite high but was fixable with the use of the truss rod allen wrench which came with the guitar. Within minutes, I was able to get the action to a height that I was quite comfortable with. Some folks have complained about these guitars having poorly cut fret edges, but that must've been the older models which had the chrome covered tuners. The frets on my model were set just right with no buzz at all. The stock tuners keep this in tune with no problems at all. Other than the string height, I could not find any flaws at all with this guitar, none!

Right now, I am in the process of forming a acoustic duo that'll be performing at restaurants and small clubs, etc. And this guitar should have no problem handling live playing. Squier has really upped the quality of their product within the last few years and this guitar is no exception. I think it's now discontinued which is a shame because for the price I paid, I got a real good deal here. The only extras I went and bought were some new strings, polish, and a new Fender Gig Bag for the guitar. I think this guitar will last a while.

As I mentioned earlier, I am now concentrating on strictly acoustic material, meaning easy listening, classics, and some blues as well. This guitar can handle all of that with ease. I know a lot of people like to knock the Squier brand but, they have to realize that it's the player and not the guitar, that'll make a instrument sound like shit. I got a great deal with this and down the line, I do intend to upgrade to probably, a Fender higher grade acoustic, but for now, I'm very content with my Squier SA-100. If you're a beginner or on a budget like me, then this is definitely worth the money.