SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack review by Squier

Squier: SA-100 Acoustic Starter Pack

Purchased from: Al Drew's Music

Mine is a Chinese made model which was made in 2013 according to the serial number that is inside the guitar. I know these are now discontinued, so I'm assuming that mine was probably the last of the ones that were produced? It was part of a Squier Acoustic Starter Package which included a Electronic tuner, a extra set of Fender Acoustic 12 gauge strings, a strap, and a gig bag which isn't really all that good. Thank god, I have a actual Fender gig bag on order. The guitar itself, has 20 medium frets, Die cast tuners, a Spruce laminate top, Agathis body, and Maple neck w/Rosewood Fretboard.

Actually contrary to what the haters say, this is not a bad sounding acoustic at all. Once you slap on a new set of strings, it sounds pretty damn good. I've been playing for over 40 years (mostly on electric) and this is my 1st acoustic that I've owned since 1975 and I am quite pleased with it. I'm just playing it straight with no amps or effects at all. After being in bands for over 36 plus years, I've decided to go the Acoustic route and wanted to go with something on the cheap seeing that I'm on a low budget. This guitar has a really nice tone to it once you put a set of say, D'Addario's or Martins on it.

The neck on this definitely needed to be adjusted because the string action was very high. Plus, I took off the saddle and sanded it down a bit as well in order to lower the action too. Other than that, there were absolutely no flaws at all. No fret edges sticking out, no fret buzz, no scratches or anything of the such. The tuning pegs were adjusted just right and didn't need tightening at all. The nut is fine considering that it's made out of Plastic. The stock tuners on this guitar do a great job of maintaining tuning stability which is astonishing for a guitar of this price range.

The strap buttons are very solid on this and the stock hardware looks like it'll last a long time with no problems at all. I do have a new Fender Gig Bag coming in this week, so the one that came with it, which is nothing more than a piece of vinyl, is going in the sh-tter. I could see myself using this at a gig with absolutely no problem at all. Squier has been putting out some amazing product for the last few years and this package is no exception. I don't see why it was discontinued because I feel that I definitely got my money's worth and then some.

Now I am playing mostly Blues, Americana, and some Classic Rock thrown in for good measure and this baby gets the job done IMO. If this was stolen would I buy another one? I would probably upgrade to a Fender FA-100 seeing now that they're within the same price range that I paid for this, but I'm not complaining at all. Maybe I will still get that Fender and use them both. I know these packs are still available online at places like eBay, Fingerhut, local music retailers, etc, so if you are a beginner or are on a low budget and want a good sounding acoustic for a low price, then you can't go wrong with the Squier SA-100 Acoustic Package. I honestly stand by that 100%.