SA-105 review by Squier

Squier: SA-105

Price paid: € 88

Purchased from: Thomann

A dreadnought-shaped guitar with 20 frets, with a lacquered maple fretboard and bridge, laminated spruce top (this top gives it a nice sound; of course nothing like that of a solid top guitar, but still), and sides of laminated nato. The pickguard is black. Available in three colors, natural, sunburst, and black. They all look cool (cheap, but still cool), but my personal favorite is the natural, which is the one I happen to own. There are no electronics or a cutaway, which is absolutely fine for me. The Squier SA-105CE has those.

I play mostly country, rock'n'roll and folk, and this guitar suits those styles of music very well. It has a pretty clear, "crisp" sound - and that's what I like. The sound is absolutely amazing for a guitar so cheap. Fantastic. As I noted earlier on the "features" section: there are no electronics, so I don't use amps or effects. The guitar CERTAINLY isn't quiet, but it's not too noisy either. Just perfect for me. Stays well in tune even after lots of playing, even aggressive playing. This is another thing you just wouldn't expect from a guitar so cheap it could be mistaken for a toy!

The guitar was actually surprisingly well set up when it came, considering its low price. The action is a bit high (as many other reviewers on several sites have also previously noted) but not too much, I think; beginners and young people can easily play it without terrible pain. The original strings that came with the guitar actually sound good and can last unlike those of many other guitars, especially these cheap ones. This guitar does not contain any major flaws, haven't noticed any by far.

A quite durable guitar - this is truly something you could trust enough to bring to the back seat of a car in a soft gigbag. If you drop it on the floor by accident, it probably makes it. I would not depend on this guitar on a gig without proper backup; I don't even know why, I just wouldn't. The pickguard of the guitar is durable and I am sure it will last for quite a while as well. I often accidentally banged the guitar at walls etc. when I didn't notice them; this didn't stop the guitar from playing fine.

I play folk, rock'n'roll, and country. This guitar is surely good enough for that. If this guitar was lost/stolen, I would probably get it again; it's so cheap that one could buy several at the same time. ;) I love this guitar mostly for its awesome sound. I also really like the way it looks. Additionally, I must note that it stays in tune quite well; haven't had problems with it going out of tune too easily. I will never, ever, throw/give this guitar away as long as it's playable, that's for sure! (If even after that.) Of course some more expensive guitars are way better, but this is a perfect first guitar.