C542 Review

manufacturer: Stagg date: 07/29/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Stagg: C542
This guitar suits almost all styles of music, it can produce a rich, mellow sound when played with just your fingers but can also produce a very bright, sharp sound when played with a plectrum.
 8.2
 8.4
 9,326
review (1) pictures (6) user comments vote for this gear:
C542 Reviewed by: Unossofrus, on july 29, 2013

Price paid: £ 37.99

Purchased from: www.amazon.co.uk

Features: I purchased this guitar as my first guitar in 2012. It is a full sized classical guitar with nylon strings and 19 frets. As the name suggests, it is 42 inches in length. It has a very wide fretboard, perfect for playing clean chords. The fretboard is not curved making bar chords a little difficult. The neck is solid maple and it was advertised to have a basswood body, but when I got it, it turned out to be plywood. The finish is Very glossy and a reddish-brown colour with traditional Spanish mosaic sound hole art. The tuning pegs are marble-effect plastic and stainless steal with decorative engraving. // 8

Sound: I play many different styles of music but I mainly like Country and Classic Rock. This guitar suits almost all styles of music (except of course Metal), it can produce a rich, mellow sound when played with just your fingers but can also produce a very bright, sharp sound when played with a plectrum. Most classical/Spanish guitars don't produce very loud treble sound and sound very "bassy." But this one is a bit different. It sound very close to a steel stringed guitar and gives an equal volume for all the notes on the fretboard. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is at just the right level and all the frets are in the correct place, making it produce perfect notes all the way down to the 19th fret. When I unpacked the guitar on the first day I got it the strings were tied very well and had very little excess. The tuning pegs were very smooth and did not stick or loosen. However it came with a small chip in the bodywork and a slightly discoloured fretboard. The frets themselves were not sanded evenly either. These minor problems didn't effect the brilliant sound but I would have expected better for 38. // 7

Reliability & Durability: With a stick-on or sound hole pick-up, this guitar would make a great live performance guitar for country and acoustic style music. However, the strings are very easy to break when playing loudly so I would recommend a backup guitar. The bridges are very solid and the tuning pegs look like they could survive nuclear warfare. I know I can depend on this guitar to last forever as I once hit a wall with it on a really bad day. The wall didn't fare too well but the guitar was only scratched and had a blue paint stain (which cleaned off easily due to the glossy finish). // 9

Overall Impression: Possibly the best Classical/Spanish guitar money can buy. I've only been playing for 2 years but by now, I think I know the difference between good and bad instruments. I play many different kinds of instrument including the ukulele, bass and mandolin, but none can match this guitar by itself. If this was stolen or lost I would definitely buy another, despite the price being raised to 45. It is definitely worth this amount. I use this guitar to begin learning songs before moving on to another as I know it so well that I don't even need to think to play it (unless its a complex tab). I have tried out many other Spanish guitars from my school, including one that cost over 60 but they are all rubbish compared to this ones playing ability. The only thing I wish it had is a strap pin on the bottom so I don't have to sit down all the while. // 9

Comments