SW201 review by Stagg

Stagg: SW201

Purchased from: Playrecord.net

I've only been playing guitar since August, teaching myself. I changed the strings to some D'Aquisto extra light bronze strings, which sounded good. At the moment I'm playing with D'Addario medium phosphor bronze which sound gorgeous. The only guitar I can compare it to with any authority is my mate's semi-acoustic. While his has a better finish, my Stagg sounds far superior. I wouldn't know if you can get better for the money, but I'm very happy to have paid 70 quid for it. People with more expensive guitars have commented how they like the sound. Once I'd learn to fit strings properly, it holds tune very well, even after taking a proper thrashing for 3-4 hours a day.

I am very happy with this guitar, and as it's my first I will never sell it. I try to play fingerstyle blues, Oasis, basically anything that tickles my fancy, and it sounds good. If it were stolen/lost I would probably invest in something more expensive, not because I don't like the guitar, but just as an excuse to upgrade. I would miss it.

This thing is built like a tank. I don't know how it would fare playing live, cos I ain't into that jazz. It has the feel it will last longer than me, I can imagine handing it on to my kids. But I think it will probably be scratched and battered. Who wants a pristine guitar? They look so much better used. Look at SRV's Number One.

I find the action to be a little high, finding it hard to do barre chords, but I am a noob with no hand strength, so there ya go. The fretboard has started to chip a little around the sides. I don't know the appropriate term for it but the design around the sound hole is horrible and tacky and spoils an otherwise good looking guitar.

I bought this guitar in August 2005, so I presume it was made either 2005 or 2004. This guitar has 14 frets on a black stained maple fretboard. It has Linden all round for the body, with a black high gloss finish. It comes with non-locking Die-cast machine heads. Everything you'd expect from a dreadnought I guess.