SW201 review by Stagg

Stagg: SW201

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

This guitar sounds good, it has a nice big voice, great for strumming, like most dreadnoughts. It also works fairly well for finger picking and bluesy stuff. Very versatile guitar for what it is. I play a lot of different types of music, but I have a preference for Hard rock and metal, not really Acoustic territory. The Acoustic songs that I know sound good on this guitar though.

For what this guitar is it is a great instrument. I would recommend this to any budding guitarist or somebody looking for a campfire guitar that they can play anywhere and not worry about ruining, because this guitar can take a beating. If stolen i wouldn't say that I would buy this exact guitar again, although if I found one for the same price again I might be tempted to get it for my campfire guitar. Overall a great beginner guitar and about the best there is for the price range.

I haven't played any shows with this guitar, but I assume it would hold up well, although if you're at the point that you are getting gigs you really should have bought a better guitar than this. I haven't had to replace anything on this guitar except strings yet. There is only one strap button, in the back, so you'll either have to install another one or attach the strap at the end of the neck like most Acoustic guitarists do. The finish is pretty high quality, still holds a great Shine after the three years I've owned it.

The action is where I like for an acoustic, but some may find it high. Barre chords are a little hard to get on it, but I find that this is better for beginners because if you can get a clear sounding barre chord on this guitar you'll be able to play it on anything. The finish is a high gloss sunburst design (hence the SB designation) that "bursts" from the black used on the back, sides and neck, pretty good looking actually. The guitar doesn't really have any flaws with anything on it. The back of the neck has the same high gloss finish as the body, which can slow you down if your palms get sweaty, but this is not a big problem for an Acoustic guitar.

First of all, I am going to rate this guitar based on what it is: a budget guitar. The ratings will be determined compared to other guitars in this price range (Jasmine, Rogue, Fender Starcaster, etc..) I bought this guitar used 3 years ago so its probably a 2005-ish model. Stagg is a belgium company whose guitars are manufactured in China. It has a laminated top. The woods used are as follows: Top: Basswood Back: Basswood Sides: Basswood Neck: Nato (Also known as mora) Fingerboard and Bridge: Black stained maple There aren't any electronics on this guitar, which is to be expected at this price point. The bridge is just a basic Acoustic bridge, nothing fancy. Tuners are nickel finished which looks pretty sharp on the black headstock. No brand name on tuners, but they do their job well, the guitar stays in tune for quite a while even with heavy strumming. The shop I bought this guitar at threw in a soft case with it, but I can't say if it does new or not, my guess is no. Overall pretty good for the price, which is around $150 I think.

tomkananzy
    I dont think that for a budget guitar, this model would deserve a 8.8. Your ratings are way to high
    jakej666
    @tomkanazy it clearly says the ratings are based on it being a budget guitar therefore its being compared to other budget guitars not the more expensive stuff