SW201 Review

28,498
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
SW201 Reviewed by: mr_chinnery, on april 20, 2006

Purchased from: Playrecord.net

Features: I bought this guitar in August 2005, so I presume it was made either 2005 or 2004. This guitar has 14 frets on a black stained maple fretboard. It has Linden all round for the body, with a black high gloss finish. It comes with non-locking Die-cast machine heads. Everything you'd expect from a dreadnought I guess. // 8

Sound: I've only been playing guitar since August, teaching myself. I changed the strings to some D'Aquisto extra light bronze strings, which sounded good. At the moment I'm playing with D'Addario medium phosphor bronze which sound gorgeous. The only guitar I can compare it to with any authority is my mate's semi-acoustic. While his has a better finish, my Stagg sounds far superior. I wouldn't know if you can get better for the money, but I'm very happy to have paid 70 quid for it. People with more expensive guitars have commented how they like the sound. Once I'd learn to fit strings properly, it holds tune very well, even after taking a proper thrashing for 3-4 hours a day. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I find the action to be a little high, finding it hard to do barre chords, but I am a noob with no hand strength, so there ya go. The fretboard has started to chip a little around the sides. I don't know the appropriate term for it but the design around the sound hole is horrible and tacky and spoils an otherwise good looking guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. I don't know how it would fare playing live, cos I ain't into that jazz. It has the feel it will last longer than me, I can imagine handing it on to my kids. But I think it will probably be scratched and battered. Who wants a pristine guitar? They look so much better used. Look at SRV's Number One. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very happy with this guitar, and as it's my first I will never sell it. I try to play fingerstyle blues, Oasis, basically anything that tickles my fancy, and it sounds good. If it were stolen/lost I would probably invest in something more expensive, not because I don't like the guitar, but just as an excuse to upgrade. I would miss it. // 8

SW201 Reviewed by: AeroJoviFan, on february 17, 2007

Purchased from: Mitros Music Company

Features: I bought this guitar about month ago. Since this is my first guitar, I needn't to many accessories and stuff (and I don't have much experience in this). It's sunbutrst version. It has 21 frets (14 are easy to reach), it has 4 strings covered (all but solo strings, BTW all strings are steel). The colour is very pretty. And I got just gig bag and a Tool-key thingy to ajdust the neck. Oh, yeah, I have Jim Dunlop 0.73 nylon pick and one PRS 0.73 nylon (that is a bit harder). // 8

Sound: I am a rocker, I prefer Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, G N'R and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I like listening to Clapton, DP and exYU rock (ever heard of SMAK and legendary Tocak), so this guitar is perfect for my style (especially Jovi and exYU rock). Sound is beautiful, noble and clean! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was well set-up by deafult. Guitar is just perfectly set-up. And it's cheaper than my cell phone. The strings are making perfect sound, the neck is just fine. The covered strings give much prettier sound but it's kind of a hard to play, hey, I'm learning. It has no second belt button-thingy. Pickguard is black plastic. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm a beginner at playing so I didn't tried it Live but I think it's very reliable (although it doesn't look like it is). But, it's maybe a little too scratchy. I have already scratched a spot on a head and I'm so pissed. It has a pickguard, so the body is safe from the pick. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said I'm a Jovi-styled rocker so this guitar is a perfect match for me? It is my first and only guitar and I guard it like the eyes in my head. I love this guitar. For now it's perfect and more. Although I am beginner I recommend it to anyone. The guitar sounds like a heaven full of angles, but in the rock way. // 10

SW201 Reviewed by: sfedf1, on january 17, 2011

Purchased from: First guitar store of Denmark Street

Features: The 20 fret cherry burst version of the Stagg SW201 western steel-string Acoustic (named SW201RDS) is a dreadnought style Acoustic guitar. The frets are from what I gather jumbos on a rosewood fingerboard. This is a really standard acoustic... no cutaway or pickup, just straight up Acoustic guitar. // 6

Sound: This guitar is definitely worth the price tag, then again that tag only says 100 but for that price you can't say it's good. As long as YOU make it sound good it's good. There are slight fret buzz problems. The other same exact model I tried at the store had fret buzz on the first fret so I got it changed then they gave me this one which had a slight buzz on the third fret but a little more tension on the neck sorted that out. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The intonation is not spot on... as most of reviewers say 'you get what you pay for'. In this respect, you truly do. The action is slightly adjustable with the truss rod and you could potentially get a new nut cut and a new saddle cut and fitted on if it really is too high. The high action makes for harder F barre chords for example but the moment you capo barre becomes piece of cake. This is good for starting as when you move on to a properly set-up guitar the chords up and down the neck will be a breeze. // 6

Reliability & Durability: An Acoustic guitar, what can you say? apart from it going bit by bit out of tune as you put it through a set it would, potentially, be able to gig. Why do they never put 2 strap buttons on acoustics? I mean really why? the one button is good though and the headstock shapes is excellent for accommodating a lace-on strap (it's the Stagg 3/3 shape). // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything, mostly using this as a songwriting platform. Having those easy open chords to see what sounds good is a great tool to have. If it was stolen I would go and buy a guitar for around the same price. I wish it had 2 strap buttons instead of the single one and I compared it to a more expensive Vintage and a cheaper guitar, the Vintage had a little less vibration and less output as well, it just felt drier. Sadly I can never give this full marks because well it can't really compete with anything above 200. // 6

Comments