EG260C review by Takamine

Takamine: EG260C

Purchased from: Rhythm House

I have become more and more interested in acoustic music, mainly thanks to John Butler Trio. Well the sound of the acoustics over electrics, and I play a wide range of styles on this Takamine. When I do plug it in I use a Crate PB150 going through a cheap cabinet, and it sounds good. Acoustically this guitar sounds fantastic. It's slightly less bassy than a full sized dreadnought, but is still nice and full and sounds great.

As far as style goes an acoustic will play all acoustic music, and this one is no exception. This is my first acoustic, and (if I learn to control my spending) it will probably be the only acoustic, it is that good. I've played several other acoustics, including a couple of Epi's, some Fenders, a couple of Ovations and Crafters and it beat all of the ones that I played hands down. My dad has a old Kent acoustic and a Crafter FX550 and it beats those two hands down as well. My favorite feature of this guitar is the body, because of the size I find it much more comfortable than a regular sized acoustics, and because I don't like bowlbacked acoustics, this one was an obvious choice. As far for the classic "if it were stolen," well I'd probably get another one of these, or maybe save up for maybe a Martin. It's a very, very good guitar, and I would encourage people to try one if you find one.

I've played this guitar Live twice (without a backup), and I've busked a bit with it, and it has stood up superbly. I have never had a guitar with more sturdy strap buttons, but then again the shop I got it from put the strap button on the heel and deliberately put one on that was a bit bigger (because I asked them to). But to be honest I don't often play this with a strap. I've had this guitar for nearly two years now and there is just one small mark on it near the bottom where I scraped it on a desk getting up after a practice, and a few small scratches on the back, from my belt. Other than that with a bit of clean it would look like new.

The finish was superb throughout, no chips or blemishes as far as I can tell. It was set up from the store I bought it from, so I don't know what the factory set up was like. It's pretty much flawless as far as the action fit and finish is concerned, so I'll give it a 10.

Stragely this guitar doesn't appear on the Takamine website. The body of the 260C is described as a NEX style. This is (apparently) a Takamine unique shape, but it just looks like a smaller version of a jumbo with a cutaway. This body style was one of the main reasons I bought this guitar. It sits very nicely and is very comfortable. When I was trying out some other guitars (Ovations, Fenders and a couple of Epiphones) I found that they were a bit too big for me to play comfortable, but I felt at home with the Takamine almost straight away. I like the cutaway, rather than having a classic sort of acoustic shape, as it allows for a bit of acoustic Hendrix. The body is made of a spruce top with mahogany back and sides, and sounds brilliant (more on that later). The neck is quite thick and takes a little while to get used to, but I'm very much used to it and it is now very comfortable. The bridge is wooden with the strings being held in place with pegs, rather than an electric style bridge as you find on some acoustics. The control has bass middle and treble, as well as volume and this works very well. Sealed unbranded tuners keep it in tune very well. The jack is located in the strap button at the bottom, which I've always liked as a design feature.

schinkowski
    It actually is on Takamine's website in the FXC category. I have no idea what the difference between the NEX and the FXC body shape is, though. I'm going to buy one of the NEX or FXC range as soon as I figure out what the difference between them is. Finding a dealer that still has them at a good price is also quite hard, now that they have sold their soul to the Fender devil.