EG320C review by Takamine

• Users' score: 7 (1 vote)
Takamine: EG320C

Price paid: € 257

Purchased from: M&C Musical

My guitar was made in China, but I'm not sure in which year. I bought it 4 years ago. It has 20 "acoustic standard" frets. Not sure what "acoustic standard" means, but it feels like they're small frets... and that is a problem for me. I'm more of a rock oriented guitar player and that's a bit of a problem when you have to do stuff like bending, for example. The neck is rounded so it's comfortable, but this is a matter of preferences. I'm actually starting to like the thin ones... The fretboard is made out of rosewood - gotta love it!

The body of the guitar is laminated. So spruce laminated top - that's a minus. Neck and body are made of mahogany; gloss finish; fixed bridge, of course. It didn't come with any accessories. The guitar features a TP4 preamp, with 3-band EQ, volume control, and built-in tuner. The tuner is not very precise, and I hate that sometimes when I'm playing unplugged the battery from the preamp starts to buzz really hard.

And I really don't like that it doesn't have a strap button at the neck joint, so I have to attach the strap to the nut end... So, no excessive stage movement, if you don't want it to slip off the shoulder!

The guitar features laminated top, not solid. The sound feels weak. I had a Hora (guitar producer from Romania) before, with solid top, and it sounded fuller, louder, you could feel the whole guitar vibrating, and I liked that. This just doesn't happen on EG320C... The sound it's warmer. I liked that, but I think it doesn't fit me very well, anymore. Yes, it suits rock and metal, but I would rather choose an Ibanez for those styles of music. I have nothing to complain about how it sounds plugged in.

Now this is where Takamine wins: Action! Perfect! Like on electric guitars! All guitars should have action like this. No flaws, except one minor thing: a little fretbuzz on e-string, 2nd fret. Doesn't look like it's because of the fret. But it's not that annoying.

I played guitar at home, at church, on stage, with friends, at hot temperature, and at very low ones. I once played it on a stage that had no roof, and it was snowing... on my guitar and on my preamp... No problem after that. It never disappointed me! As for the durability, I bought it thinking it will last me at least 20 years. And I think it will, if I won't accidentally hit its body - it really feels fragile

I mainly play rock, metal and folk. This guitar fits folk perfect. As for rock and metal, the matter is disputable. What I hate about EG320C are the small frets, weak sound compared to solid tops, the fact that it doesn't have a strap button at neck joint, and the weight (is heavy like an electric guitar). When I bought it, I compared it to a Fender CD-100CE. The only aspect where Fender won was the look - and that's a personal preference.

If it were stolen... I don't know... I would go for one with solid top if not full solid. I advise you to do the same if you want this guitar: go and buy EG320SC - same guitar model, but with solid top. I recommend it to those who are serious about playing guitar, maybe even want to start a career in music!