EG523CDX-HB review by Takamine

Takamine: EG523CDX-HB

Purchased from: Amazon.com , through ShopUsa.com

This thing sounds really great! I was thinking about buying some other guitars, like an Epiphone masterbilt, or an ESP exotic-wood. But this one got the upper hand. It actually sounds alot smaller than it really is, with it's relatively quick response, and big volume! This thing is really loud, I tell ya! It's really well suited for strumming, but it can do fingerpicking too. I actually thought it was gonna suck at fingerstyle, but it obviously didn't! The lows are of course very big, not a whole lot of mids, but plenty of treble. I can actually do artificial/pinch harmonics on this thing! A nice full, rich sound, but not too rich.

I play a bit of everything, from naughty schoolyard songs to emotional ballads to reggae, so I'm pretty open minded so to speak! And so my guitar have to be versatile too, and it IS! To words: GET THIS (if you don't have an Acoustic you love already)!

I'm sure it'll do just fine live, no doubt there. But I have some concerns about carrying it to school, with all these hyperactive kids everywhere, it could easily break. But that is a part of having any Acoustic anyway! I actually haven't tried the strap buttons yet, but they feel pretty sturdy. The finish seems to be able to take whatever I throw at it, so I'm pretty confident it'll last my whole life. I'll never replace this, and if I had to get a backup, I'd get another one of these, or an Epiphone masterbilt, they seem pretty nice too. It's nice with some variation!

It was setup really well actually, I don't feel the need to adjust it. The action is nice and low, just the way I like it! The pickups were adjusted just fine! Everything on this bad boy was well made and constructed, so I'm one lucky guy I guess! The only thing I don't like is the strings; they arent' that crisp, and lacks volume, but I'll get that fixed as soon as I feel the urge to.

So this thing has got a Jumbo body, Flamed maple body Solid spruce top, I really love flamed maple, so I'm one really happy chap about this one! It's got the traditional dovetail neck joint, and a maple neck! With a 25-5/16" scale! Rosewood bridge and fretboard, the bridge is stringed through the back of the bridge, further to the saddle and to the nut. It's neck is asymmetrical, somewhat reminiscent of a Les Paul neck shape! It's got 20 (medium jumbo?) frets, with a CP 100 bridge pickup and equalizer, a TK-40 preamp! With treble, mid and low control, notch filter, equalizer in/out and tuner! Everything runs off a 9 volt battery. Gold and pearl tuners, which is very easy to use. Gold hardware. Gloss finish.