EG523CDX-HB review by Takamine

• Reviewer's score: 1.8 Junky
Takamine: EG523CDX-HB

I have had this guitar for three years, in that time it has always sounded dull and lifeless. Being a beginner at the time of purchase I always blamed myself as a beginner. But I bought another guitar at approximately the same time for a fraction of the price of the Takamine. (The brand is not important as I am not giving this review to plug any another brands, just to warn people of the fault in this Takamine guitar). This other brand plays well and sounds lovely. I tried different strings on the Takamine but it always sounded dull, not what you would expect from a $1000 dollar guitar. I found using light gauge strings were easier to play with but I was getting fret buzz. I was shocked to find that in order to raise the bridge to fix the fret buzz I had to stack another shim on the already three that were under the bridges. I had finally found the answer to the question why this guitar sounded lifeless. It defies all logic to get the best acoustics you need the saddles in direct contact with the bridge and body of the guitar, not stacked up on four "shims" I believe other owners of this model guitar have voiced their concerns about this poor example of design on other sites. But they were lucky to still be within the warranty period and sent the guitars back. I am not that lucky.

All potential guitar buyers please be advised, stay clear of this model Takamine guitar. I believed that the brand Takamine was a reputable company and that was why I purchased the guitar in the first place but I question the ethics of a company that would sell an expensive guitar knowing that this fault existed. Remember this guitar was shipped out of the factory with three shims under the bridge saddles to gain the necessary height to play the guitar without fret buzz. What happens in the future when and if the bridges need raising even further as the saddles are near the top of the recesses in the bridge already. If Takamine was truly the reputable company I thought they were they would recall this model and have the bridge saddles replaced with ones of the correct height so the "shims" can be removed and hopefully the guitar will sound as it should. I wait to hear from Takamine. In the mean time I have sourced a manufacturer who can make saddles at the correct height. They have advised me the sound difference will be a pleasant surprise. I have noticed this guitar is still being sold world wide, do not buy this guitar without the saddles being corrected.

Too ashased to bring it out in public. Therefore it will last a long time in its case. All potential guitar buyers please be advised, stay clear of this model Takamine guitar. If Takamine was truly the reputable company I thought they were they would recall this model and supply and fit saddles that fit without the use of shims.

I believed that the brand Takamine was a reputable company and that was why I purchased the guitar in the first place but I question the ethics of a company that would sell an expensive guitar knowing that this fault existed. Remember this guitar was shipped out of the factory with three shims under the bridge saddles to gain the necessary height to play the guitar without fret buzz. What happens in the future when and if the bridges need raising even further as the saddles are near the top of the recesses in the bridge already. If Takamine was truly the reputable company I thought they were they would recall this model and have the bridge saddles replaced with ones of the correct height so the "shims" can be removed and hopefully the guitar will sound as it should. I wait to hear from Takamine. In the mean time I have sourced a manufacturer who can make saddles at the correct height. They have advised me the sound difference will be a pleasant surprise. Please remember the workmanship on this guitar is fine the problem is the poor acoustics due to the poor design of the saddle adjustment. I believe Takamine no longer use this system on adjustment on the bridge saddles, I wonder why.

Takamine EG523SC electric/acoustic should be re-called the fix the fault in the bridge saddle adjustment system. All potential guitar buyers please be advised, stay clear of this model Takamine guitar. This guitar looks great but sounds like a dead piece of wood.