TW1000 B Review

manufacturer: Tanglewood date: 02/17/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Tanglewood: TW1000 B
It just feels solid and very comfortable and the details make you feel that you're holding a guitar worth far more than what you've paid for it.
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
 6,181
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
TW1000 B Reviewed by: joykiller, on february 17, 2011

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Max Guitar Store Nijmegen

Features: These are the features as listed on the Tanglewood website: SHAPEDreadnought TOPSolid Spruce BACKRosewood SIDESRosewood NECK (MATERIAL)Mahogany NECK (BUILD)One Piece, Velute FINGERBOARDRosewood BRIDGERosewood BINDINGIvory ABS & Herringbone SADDLEBone, Compensating NUT (WIDTH)Bone (43mm) SCALE LENGTH650mm BRIDGE PINSIvory ABS MACHINE HEADSGold Grover FINISHNatural Gloss EQB-Band A3T I'm not sure about the year it was made, but I've had it for about 2 years now. At the risk of sounding a little girly, I really am in love with this guitar. Its aesthetic appeal was what made me pick it up at the guitar shop initially, and it's a reflection of the guitar's quality. What I like most about its looks, is the bridge design, that little piece of rosewood really does it for me. Furthermore, the gold Grover tuners look pretty and are really supple and reliable. The neck is somewhere between a C and a U shape, either way I really like it. The rosewood fingerboard is really smooth too. It's pretty big, being a dreadnought, and pretty heavy too, partially due to the electronics. It has a pretty basic B-Band equalizer, which features controls for Trebs, Mids, and Bass as well as Presence and of course Volume. There's also a small red LED which indicates low battery. Even though it sounds better through a microphone, it's pretty decent through the line out. The equalizer is really effective and turning the presence up really makes it sparkle. Overall, it just feels solid and very comfortable and the details make you feel that you're holding a guitar worth far more than what you've paid for it. // 9

Sound: On the acoustic, I play all kinds of styles ranging from Tommy Emmanuel to John Mayer to Radiohead to some classical stuff. My main focus, however, is fingerstyle, which this guitar is really apt for. I usually play it without an amp, but I have run it through my practice amp, a Roland Cube20x which sounds pretty good. The sound is very rich, especially when playing chords its very full and plenty loud. I'd say the treble and mids are more apparent than the bass, which is what I prefer. Basically, this guitar handles all Acoustic styles well; I can play anything from John Mayer/Tommy Emmanuel fingerstyle thingies to Radioheadlike chord progressions and they all sound great. Having said this, when playing blues the chords sound great (for some reason, I love the palm mute sound on this guitar), but with the tension I currently have with my strings (D'Addario phosphor bronze .12) it's not too great for soloing. However, this is not what I usually use my Acoustic for, so it doesn't bother me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar shop always makes sure to deliver a perfectly set up guitar, so I don't know how it came out of the factory. When I received it, the set up was flawless and it still is. The only flaw I've noticed thus far is a minute chip on the side of the neck, but it hasn't bothered me in playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In short, it's a very solid build. Tuners are great, finish is great; after two years you get the occasional superficial scratch but furthermore nothing serious. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about four years now. I also have a lovely Lite Ash Stratocaster which I run through a Vox AC30C2X. This Tanglewood instantly appealed to me at the shop and never disappointed me since. It was quite an impulsive buy to be honest // 9

Comments