TW155 ST Review

6,411
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
TW155 ST Reviewed by: jakecarter, on august 07, 2006

Purchased from: sound control

Features: This guitar was hand crafted in China, I'm not sure what year it was made but I know that it was on display in the shop for one year before I purchased it (I got 100 knocked off the price for this reason). It has 20 frets and has a cut away design and has a 9v battery inside next to the strap knob/input jack which power the onboard EQ. Bass, treble, mids, presence and volume conrols are on the EQ, and also a L.E.D which indicates when the battery is low. the tuners are grover and are non-locking. They stay in tune extremely well un-like my Epiphone dot which has the same make tuners. No accessories were included exept for a free plectrum which the shop gave me! But I did buy a gator jumbo size hard case 59.00 (the only one in the shop that would fit this guitar) to protect the guitar because like all acoustics it looks o' so fragile and would cetainly get bash around in my already cramped room. The reason I give this a 9 is because I didn't want a gadget style guitar with 1000s of features. I just wanted a nice acoustic, which is what I got. // 9

Sound: I play music like the Strokes, Muse, QOTWA, Wolfmother, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, White Stipes, Dirty Pretty Things and lots more. I don't really listen to/play music that only use's acoustic guitars. But sometimes I just want to get away from all the feedback, loud noise, distortion, amplifiers, electronics, moaning neighbours and complications that are associated with electric guitars! So I play any genre songs on my acoustic. But I have to say that when using chords are where I found that this guitar sounds the best. they sound perfect any where on the neck. Even when you own a guitar that allows you to alter the inotation, once you get to the 10th/12th ish' frets using barre chords, things start to crumble and you don't get that perfect in tune sound. But this guitar seems to nail chords every where! For example normaly I would play an E major barre chord using the 7th fret A string as my root note, but now when needed I can play the same chord on the 12th fret using the E string as my root note and it still sounds so full and in tune. Great! Also being a jumbo size guitar it has a wonderful rich tone the treble strings really take advantage of this and sound nice, not tinny. The sound reminds me of when you hear bands playing in acoustic tents at festvals or those homeless buskers that sound good! as I say the thing that strikes me is it's rich tone, I tried a couple at the shop but the others sounded less full and fake (they were all around the same price aswell). You can get slightly different sounds aswell by resting you hand on the top of the guitar body. I don't play this through an amp so that's why I'm not giving it a 10 as I haven't tried all the features. The only bad noise this guitar gives of is when you play just the treble strings the E and A strings start to vibrate but you should be fine if you just mute the strings with your hand. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has no fret buzz, at first I was not used to the action because I played only electric guitars. But now I'm ok with it and it has improved my playing on electric guitars alot. Now I find it a lot easier to play electrics. The hardest place to fret is the first fret doing a minor barre chord but other than that it's quite easy to play. I really love the finish of this guitar the wood feels really natural and smooth, it's hard to explain but your hands slide over it quite easily compard to some guitars that seen to have a more thick and sticky finnish. The only flaws I could find were a tiny bit of glue sticking out where the nut is glued in (which pulled off, not the nut! The glue). Some people would argue that the wood used looks tacky or dirty but that's how it is supposed to look it's has a great 'aged' look about it and has what looks like burn marks (very neat and planned marks, not accidentily set on fire by young chinese apprentice guitar maker marks). Also where the peices of wood have been joined together, little specks of natural wood grains that look sightly different in shade are shown which look amazing. My mum came with me to the shop and she was the one who shouted me over to show me this guitar and show me how wonderfully natural it looked, which it does.the inlays also look really nice, they look like oil/petrol that has been spilled on the ground, like a mixed colour/rainbow effect. The only other thing I can find is that the bottom of the bridge has a tiny little chip in it, not noticable unless you look for every tiny flaw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this guitar playing live but I haven't plugged it in so I can't comment on the reliability of the electronics. Everything seems pretty solid but I always keep it in the case as it could easily be chipped/ bashed around if I left it lying around. I also don't have a strap yet but the strap button seems ok. The strap button is also the input jack and when I plugged the lead in (only done it once to tune it). It seems really solid and had the tightest fit I have ever come across in guitars. I would rely on it without out a back up if I was playing a really small venue with no amps but I would always have my electric on hand if I were using it as an electro-acoustc. As for the finnish ealier I said that it seemed thin. I don't know if it was really that thin or, it just seemed that thin due to the effect of the finnish. It may rub of, it may not, only time will tell. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is the guitar that I set out to buy and does the things I want, as I said earlier in the review. I have been playing for around two and a half years now and I also own a Marshall DSL-401 (tube amp), Epiphone Dot, DigiTech Whammy, Vox Wah-Wah Pedal and a set of House Of Blues medium thickness plectroms that I brought when I went on holiday to disney land last year! I would buy another one of these guitars if it was lost or stolen again definatly! That is if I could find one as this was the last one in stock, and I am considering buying an electric Tanglewood guitar because I was impressed with this acoustic, again if I can find one, as I have never seen any in any guitar shops only on their website. The thing I love the most about it, is it's rich/full tones and it's natural looks. I hate that it didn't come with a free case, even if they would have given me a crappy paper case I would have been happier. The other guitars I tried didn't sound as full and they had a thicker more sticky finnish (they were also tanglewoods). Considering that my whammy pedal cost the same amount as the guitar I got a real bargain and am real happy with the guitar. // 9

Comments