TW170 AS review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TW170 AS

Purchased from: Tone Zone

The sound of it is very nice. It's suited all my guitar sounding needs. Country to Rock songs can be played on this. I've even played eletric songs on this and they sound nice (e.g. Sweet child o Mine. I think you could probally play anything on this guitar and it'll meet your demand. The sound of it is full and rich they isn't any weak sounding parts/notes anywhere on the fretboard as far as I know. Also this guitar stays in tune for ages, seriosly you could probally get away with not tuning this for about a month.

I mostly play worship music but I do Staind, Avril Lavigne, Oasis, Beatles to name just a few. This guitar plays these well. I've been playing a bit over a year but don't let this put you off, this guitar is very good in what it does. I also won a Encore acoustic guitar which doesn't even compare with the Tanglewood. There's one thing I wish I asked before buying it and that is can I have something done about the strap button. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would buy one as soon as I got the money because it's just so good. I love the look of it (Don't let the picture on the Tanglewood website put you off, the look is beautiful). I hate the strap button. My favourite feature is the sound and the amount of time it's stays in tune. I wish it had a pick-up because I'd be able to to amp it up but that can easily be sorted. So definitely thumbs-up to this guitar.

Well, I've played this at worship band practises and it performs very well and I would defintiely take this to any gig. The tuning heads I think will last ages they're not cheap and they're are strong. The strap button is the only thing which annoys, it falls out quite often. It's very annoying. There is only one strap button at the bottom of the guitar you have to tie the strap at the head stock. I think if you was to push the button in hard enough it will stay but be aware because you don't want to be dropping your guitar. I can depend on this guitar, it's just too good and I would definitely use this at a gig without any back up at all.

Well the guy who sold me the guitar set the guitar up before you get it, but the guitar was quite well set up. The aciton is not bad at all, it gets a bit higher than usual when you get lower on the fretboard but than can be easily changed. The finish on the guitar is pretty much perfect, I coudn't see any damage on it until I caused some. The filing on the fretboard (including edges) is very good I don't think you can get much better (but I have a limited experiance of guitars).

The Tanglewood TW170-AS is an updated version of the Tanglewood TW70 concert sized folk guitar. The TW170-AS features solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and bridge, single piece mahogany neck, and Gold Kluson style machine heads.

JamesP91
    'I also won a Encore acoustic guitar' = I also own a Encore acoustic guitar.
    rocketman1010
    yeah, I own this guitar, and I love to play with it. It is really nice sounding, and in my opinion the best one I have heard. My dad owns a Seagull, but I have the glossy spruce finish of this tanglewood. I love it, buy it today.
    jay.wray
    I've been playing for a number of years and I've just got this guitar for my birthday, I love it, I've always played with my Yamaha CPX 700 and loved that, but since I got this I can't stpo playing it, through my amp or just on its own it sounds great. Much cheaper than the CPX aswell, I do some solos on it and sounds brilliant, take rocketman1010's advice.
    LeftyUK
    I just bought one second hand. It had already been played in, so all it needed was a new set of strings. The one's I put on it are D'Addario EXP11 coated strings, 12-54. The tone is excellent! It is quieter than my Crafter D8, but almost the same tone (fitted with the same strings!), and that is after only a few hours playing. I suspect that it will continue to improve as I play the strings in, and bring the wood to life (goodness knows how long it has hung on the wall unplayed before I got it). I like the body shape as it is more comfortable than my dreadnought D8, but having a solid back it is heavier too. Almost identical neck and scale (650mm) to the D8, and well set up by the shop, so I am a happy bunny. Would I buy another one if this one broke or was stolen? Yes, definitely. Lovely guitar to play and listen to, very easy on the eye, and good value for money too.