TW170 AS Review

5,832
reviews (2) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
TW170 AS Reviewed by: JamesP91, on may 07, 2007

Purchased from: Tone Zone

Features: The Tanglewood TW170-AS is an updated version of the Tanglewood TW70 concert sized folk guitar. The TW170-AS features solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard and bridge, single piece mahogany neck, and Gold Kluson style machine heads. // 8

Sound: The sound of it is very nice. It's suited all my guitar sounding needs. Country to Rock songs can be played on this. I've even played eletric songs on this and they sound nice (e.g. Sweet child o Mine. I think you could probally play anything on this guitar and it'll meet your demand. The sound of it is full and rich they isn't any weak sounding parts/notes anywhere on the fretboard as far as I know. Also this guitar stays in tune for ages, seriosly you could probally get away with not tuning this for about a month. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the guy who sold me the guitar set the guitar up before you get it, but the guitar was quite well set up. The aciton is not bad at all, it gets a bit higher than usual when you get lower on the fretboard but than can be easily changed. The finish on the guitar is pretty much perfect, I coudn't see any damage on it until I caused some. The filing on the fretboard (including edges) is very good I don't think you can get much better (but I have a limited experiance of guitars). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, I've played this at worship band practises and it performs very well and I would defintiely take this to any gig. The tuning heads I think will last ages they're not cheap and they're are strong. The strap button is the only thing which annoys, it falls out quite often. It's very annoying. There is only one strap button at the bottom of the guitar you have to tie the strap at the head stock. I think if you was to push the button in hard enough it will stay but be aware because you don't want to be dropping your guitar. I can depend on this guitar, it's just too good and I would definitely use this at a gig without any back up at all. // 7

Overall Impression: I mostly play worship music but I do Staind, Avril Lavigne, Oasis, Beatles to name just a few. This guitar plays these well. I've been playing a bit over a year but don't let this put you off, this guitar is very good in what it does. I also won a Encore acoustic guitar which doesn't even compare with the Tanglewood. There's one thing I wish I asked before buying it and that is can I have something done about the strap button. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would buy one as soon as I got the money because it's just so good. I love the look of it (Don't let the picture on the Tanglewood website put you off, the look is beautiful). I hate the strap button. My favourite feature is the sound and the amount of time it's stays in tune. I wish it had a pick-up because I'd be able to to amp it up but that can easily be sorted. So definitely thumbs-up to this guitar. // 9

TW170 AS Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2012

Purchased from: Secondhand

Features: A UK brand but, presumably, made in China. 20 frets, solid top, glossy finish. "Grand Concert" size, which is a little larger than a classical guitar. The tuners are gold-plated and look a little like Klusons from the rear although they are not slotted like proper Klusons. Odd-shaped bridge with compensated saddle. The nut and saddle feel like fairly lightweight plastic (I've had both off the guitar). // 8

Sound: Sounds great except when strummed very hard. No buzz because the action is sky-high (of which more later). Quite trebly but it's a pleasant sound. None of the boom you get from a dreadnought. Too loud for strumming with a pick in a small room, even though it's small, so the top must be pretty efficient. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Dreadful action, 4mm at 12th fret, bass E string. I bought this secondhand and it cost another 50 pounds to have it fixed; the neck angle wasn't right so the bridge wood needed shaving as well as reducing the height of the saddle. The nut was a little high but not too bad. The truss rod wasn't set properly. This is what you get with Chinese manufacture, sadly; quality control is not a strong point. I have seen far better fretwork. These aren't the worst I've seen but they're certainly not the best. The guitar was secondhand but essentially unplayed; the local dealer thought it was new. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This won't have the lifespan of a better guitar now that the bridge has been modified; as the top rises with age it will be impossible to correct the action again without resetting the neck, which isn't worth it. I have reasons to suspect that it will fall apart, although the tuners struggle a bit as the strings come up to pitch. // 4

Overall Impression: This was a good deal secondhand, even with the cost of fixing the action, but I would be very wary of buying one at the new price of 300 pounds or more. At the very least, check the action is low enough with the original unmodified saddle. Most guitar manuals don't tell you how to check neck angle and it takes a fair bit of experience to do so. I probably wouldn't buy another guitar of this brand. // 5

Comments