TW28/12 CLN review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TW28/12 CLN

Price paid: C$ 295

Purchased from: Quest Musique

This thing looks and sounds like an instrument worth four times as much as they're asking. It's bright and crisp and chorus-y, and boy is this thing loud! I feel as though you could use it unamplified in a lot of live settings, and I can't wait to do some unplugged recording with my Zoom H1, I think it'll sound amazing! The look of the guitar is rich and warm thanks to the mahogany neck and body and the Cedar top. The inlay on my model was seamless, and the grain of the top is warm and flawless. Even the faux pearl decoration, despite being laser-printed, is quite fetching. Even better, the colours match my acoustic six-string, so they make quite the lovely pair!

I've been playing guitar as a hobby musician for over two years and experiment with a lot of genres and styles, but something I've always sought after is fuller, richer sound. With the TS28-12 CLN I'm now able to expand my acoustic sound without effects pedals, at a price that doesn't break the bank. It's loud, it's clean-sounding, it plays well and it's a handsome instrument. I'd recommend this guitar to players at any level of experience.

The hardware seems to be very good quality, precise tuners and solid strap knob locations - I recommend always swapping these out for strap locks, they're the best $20 you'll ever spend on protecting your guitar. I don't plan on dropping it (hence the strap locks) but it seems solid and well-constructed, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure my cats will put it to the test soon enough.

The action makes it very comfortable to play, and the strings are nicely spaced so that with a little practice I'm now able to play fingerstyle and flatpick single pairs of strings with ease. Intonation seems good, and you can play scales and barre chords up to the 12th-15th frets with relative ease given the dreadnought construction.

At this price you'd think that the workmanship and materials on a 12-string guitar would be lacking, but this is a beautiful and well-crafted instrument, and the one I bought came perfectly set up with no jagged frets or obvious seams or glue. The other nice thing about this 12-string in particular is that the headstock is light and doesn't affect the balance of the guitar, which is very important since most 12-stings want to naturally nosedive due to the weight. It would be nice if this guitar came with an electric pickup, but for the price I'm not complaining. You can easily make your own piezo pickup for under $10.