TW28 CLN Review

30,383
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
TW28 CLN Reviewed by: Simon Acreman, on february 01, 2008

Purchased from: Sarum Guitars

Features: This model, from the Evolution series, is a very tidy guitar for its price. Mahogony body, cedar top, mahogony neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 20 frets. The neck has binding and the body has decorative beading around the edges. With it came a non-specific hard case. // 9

Sound: I am an electric player primarily, and I found this guitar has a wonderful warm sound, thanks to the Cedar top. After playing several guitars in the shop (many of which were much more expensive), I settled for this guitar for its beautiful warm sound. I primarily play rock ballad-style material on the guitar, but is wonderful for finger-picking, played fingerstyle, it certainly has a soft mellow sound that sounds amazing for slower songs. I even preferred the sound too guitars over double the price, and more well-known brands also. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set rather low making it very easy to play, although it does mean that it rattles when you play high up the neck, particularly around the 12th fret. The build quality does not show any real flaws. The only complaint is damage to the finnish on the back of the neck, but I highly suspect this was due to transportation of man-handling in the shop, as opposed to poor workmanship. As for the finnish in general, the matte finnish is very pleasing to the eye and doesn't get sticky with sweaty hands like some gloss finnishes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems relatively solid. Nothing seems to be in any way loose or poorly fitted. Despite general opinion of Tanglewood guitars, this is very much a solid guitar and certainly seems reliable. The finnish does seem to be turning slightly glossy with the scratches from strumming away for days on end, but there is no real problem there, it is just general wear. // 9

Overall Impression: A wonderful guitar that sounds better and plays nicer than guitars costing twice as much. so, it may have only cost 145 (190 with the case), but it truely is superb against guitars of a similar price. It sounds beautiful and looks it too with the binding and general finnish. An extremely good guitar for the price. // 9

TW28 CLN Reviewed by: LiamMTM2, on june 07, 2010

Price paid: A$ 250

Purchased from: Music Express Robina

Features: This Guitar was designed in the United Kingdom and hand made in China. Has 20 frets on a rosewood fingerboard and mahogany neck. The body is mahogany dreadnaught with a Cedar top. I managed to get this guitar for AU$250 and the bloke at the shop threw in a gig bag for half price. // 9

Sound: I use this guitar when I busk and it has never let me down, it has a very warm, almost comforting sound that can be strummed, picked or finger picked. I use this guitar for songs ranging from golden oldies, to ballads, to modern things like Greenday or Blink182. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is set very low, and has a slight rattle past the 14/15 fret. The build quality is great, from structure to finish, I could not find a single flaw anywhere, which is saying something seeing as how I'm a pesimist and always look for the negatives. The only problem I have with it is that there is only one strap-knob, meaning I had to get a tie on strap for it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, I use this guitar for busking and all it has is general wear, no major scratches or dints and the hardware is all still firmly fitted. It is a very reliable guitar, and has never let me down, it hasent even broken a string whilst performing yet (just jinxed it didn't I?!) // 10

Overall Impression: For busking this is a great guitar, although I wouldn't use it for a stage performance (simply because I would use my other guitars) I'm sure you could. I have been playing this guitar for some time now and it is a great peice. Its just a good, honest bit of wood and strings, and that's what I love about it. I was leaning towards a Fender Sonoran but I couldn't leave without this little beauty! I just wish it had that second knob! (maybe you would call it a button?) // 10

Comments