TW45 NS review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TW45 NS

The tone from the body of this thing is immense, it responds very brightly in the high treble and the bass in impressive, if ever so slightly tinny. It is very effective for any kind of rhythm playing in Folk or acoustic rock music as I am playing at the moment. I'm yet to play it plugged, since I don't have an acoustic amp anyway and I prefer to judge an acoustic instrument on its acoustic sound.

I suppose the style I'm using this axe for is best described as being sort of James Blunt-esque, except far more interesting musically, and less whiny. For that, it is excellent, very well designed for simple chord strumming and can handle fills and lead parts; the sheer size makes it easily audible over some cacophony. Basically, the high action annoys me but the tone makes up for it easily. If it got stolen, I'd tell Katy I'm sorry, but can't afford a replacement (she's far richer than me anyway), her dad would replace it for her).

I can imagine this thing lasting quite a while. That said, when it came to me it was missing a few strings, but I think it is several years old. I would use it without a backup, as this saturday I am playing a gig at which I will have no choice. The finish is fine, It looks quite nice and isn't going to look like firewood any time soon.

This is where it falls short. The action is pretty poor, I always find my fingers aching after too long playing anything above the 6th fret. I think the bridge is too high but I've no idea how to adjust it, and it isn't my guitar anyway, I play a PRS Tremonti SE which is better in every respect in my opinion, except that it isn't acoustic.

I borrowed this guitar from my lead guitarist's girlfriend for playing a one-off acoustic gig, and I have no idea where or when it was made. The top is solid Cedar, soundboard is African mahogany; the bridge and fretboard are rosewood. It has 20 frets, no finish. Machine heads are chrome and the fretboard is decorated with shiny pinkish snowflake motifs that make you feel twice as gay every time you play it. Unless you're already female of course. Volume control on the side, three sliders for bass, mid, treble, and one for 'presence' which generally just ruins your sound if you turn it up when plugged in. I can't say much more since sadly I didn't buy the guitar, and it's owner doesn't really know anything about guitars anyway.

Shorty_rox_06
    im 14 and i got 1 for christmas.. no matter wat genre you play, way you play it or tuning its in.. from standard e to drop b this guitar sounds like no other.. i'm also in a band and we just started.. we play about 4 accoustic songs and 3 electric even tho were pretty much hard rock.. this guitar is to die for
    bopper989
    this is such a fantastic guitar, sounds sooo nice witht them elixirs. perfect everything.