TW45 NS review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: TW45 NS

Purchased from: Music Ground, Leeds

I use it for general folk/bluesy/fingerpicking purposes and it sounds pretty damn good. Obviously it's not a high-end, hand made masterpiece - but for under 450 it provides an impressively bright but warm tone with good balance. The pick-up is standard but the amplified sound is certainly good enough to gig. The eq is nothing special but is functional. For the money, this guitar really does sound great.

Overall, this is a great value-for-money guitar - especially for the left-hander Who has such limited choice. It looks gorgeous and plays very well with a lovely warm tone, and sounds good through the amp also (and, to be fair, I'm using an electic amp on a clean sound and it still sounds good! ) Overall I rate this guitar as an 8 - I'm very happy with it so far and would gladly recommend it to any guitarist looking for a mid-range, fingerpicking electro-acoustic.

I've only had the guitar for two months so it's difficult to grade it on durability. To be honest, the main body of the guitar does feel a little fragile & I certainly won't be throwing it around - but the various components (machine heads, bridge, nut etc.) all seem very sturdy. I'll give it a 7 and keep my fingers crossed.

The guitar has been set-up perfectly as far as I can tell. Personally, I have no problem with the action - I find it very responsive and straightforward to play. I've been playing it quite relentlessly for about two months now & have found zero flaws of any description. The tuning holds extremely well, the bridge is excellent, as is the nut. No problems what'soever.

This is a UK manufactured, 2008 version of Tanglewoods TW45-NS electro-acoustic (left-handed). It has a solid Canadian ceder top with solid African mahogany back (I suspect the sides are laminate). The body is described as 'super-Folk cutaway' - so it's a sort of small Jumbo (if that makes any sense) with cutaway. Quite attractive, in fact. Chrome machine heads and a B-Band eq, it also comes with an in-built tuner. Green abalone 'snow-flake' inlays, if you like that sort of thing. It's a very good spec for the money (and I imagine you could find one a few quid cheaper if you have a good look on-line).