414CE review by Taylor

Taylor: 414CE

Purchased from: ebay

This is one nice sounding guitar, especially at this price. It was warmer than most Taylors I've played, but not at the expense of the usual lively Taylor treble. The 414 is a very "liquid" sounding guitar, and it is also surprisingly loud. Although less punchy than the Taylor 310, I think it was a louder guitar overall. Sustain is also excellent in the Taylor 414. The only negative would be that the warm and enveloping bass could sometimes overwhelm the midrange and treble notes on delicate fingerpicking tunes. however sound is superb.

This guitar is great for a range of styles although I prodominantly play bluegrass/country. The guitar sounds great amplified through my Marshall MG100DFX which isnt even an acoustic amplifier. I also purchased a Fishman GII EQ which fits the style of the guitar perfectly and increases the quality of the already excellent tone. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would most certainly go out and purchase a new one as it's simply the best guitar I have ever played. I have played many top of the range guitars but this one edges it. I would compare it to the Martin D-16 or the Larrivee D-04 simply because they are similar in price and great guitars. I beleive every guitarist should experince the warmth and depth this guitar produces, cheers.

This guitar is very reliable and would easily withstand gigs. The brand, Taylor, make high quality guitars and this one is no different. Guitar has been gigged with before with the previous owner and appears to be in almost perfect condition with minimal damage (small nick on the body, barely noticeable).

I purchased the guitar second hand so I'm not 100% sure if the action was altered at any stage. The action is perfect which makes playability effortless. Only flaw is the solid spruce top may be slightly more vulnerable to be marked although it is very attractive. The guitar has never seen a plectrum in it's life as myself, and the previous owner, play a finger picking style so this hasn't been a problem.

The guitar is confused as a dreadnought shape, however, in actual fact it is a "grand auditoriom" shape. It has 20 frets, neck width is 1 3/4 inches at the nut, and scale length is 25 1/2". The guitar has a solid spruce top. The tuners are high quality and chrome plated. The guitar came with a top of the range Taylor flight case which I'm guessing is worth atleast 100. The 414's back and sides are made of ovangkol, an exotic African hardwood said to produce a warm and deep sound. The neck is made of mahogany, and the headstock overly is made of rosewood. The top is solid spruce, and the fingerboard is ebony.

steelare98
    I bought a 2011 Taylor 414ce brand new from World of Music in Brighton, Melbourne. Look, shape, sound ect. everything is really well put together. It's comfy to play and sounds amazing. The action is really good, easy to play bar chords. I am 100% happy with my purchase, and would recommend this guitar to anyone!
    stevodadidleo
    sory guys i purchased it for 668 with case and pre amp duno why that fisgure is wrong, cheers
    sg4ever
    I agree with the liquid sounding description. That's what I've been telling other people.