414CE review by Taylor

Taylor: 414CE

Purchased from: A local shop

Year: 2014. Made in: Mexico. Has 22 frets. Sitka Spruce top. Ovangkol which is a beautiful Africa wood and it really makes a good high end and beautiful low in. Body style is Gradautitorum Cutaway. The home town store I bought it from sold it to me with there custom gig bag and the case that the guitar itself came with also came with there custom Strap and a Monster cable. They give you option 2 bags of any picks they have and 1 pair of extra elixir string also a warranty for 6 months where they will fix anything on it and replace it if they have too.

The sound is quick and last at the same time really amazing on high end and pretty good on low end. It is a beautiful sound but being a cut away it's just not as full body as it could be. I play 214CE DLX and the which is also a cut away and I dare say It has a more vibrant tone then this 414CE. Never the less it is still very amazing guitar. It really shows every note while playing fingerstyle. Very vibrant matches perfect with a band and a singer. The guitar can make any sound you want some better then other though on the high end you can crank them out with ease but on the low end they a little bit harder to hammer out some of the notes you want.

The guitar is set up very well I had the action lower'd to fit my playing style. The fit isn't the best it kind of sits awkwardly. The only flaw I could see is a little dent in the finish but I'm sure that came after the fact in the store. Other wise the finish seemed to be hand rub and very thin which personally the finish doesn't change much for me as long as it plays well. The bride was a little loose also from apparently a small accident at the store but they fixed it no problem. The bracing is a little loose but still pretty sturdy from the bridge so they left that.

Now this is where this guitar takes the cake for me. I play in a church band and for the last 3 to 4 weeks I've played it as hard as I can and it has held up it comes with great elixir strings that are easy on the hands and just amazing tone. The electric side of this guitar is okay nothing crazy but very stout seems like it will survive a long time. There are 3 knobs on the top they seem a little flimsy but haven't given me any trouble they control high tone low tone and volume. You can diffidently trust this Guitar to play all night long gigs. Leave the backup at home. The finish seems thin but pretty strong and clean there is a dent in the finish from the store but the finish is still strong there just dented the finish not the wood so from that I would say it'll last quite a while.

I play country and southern gospel in which this is perfect fit for both. I have been playing for 4 years I own a Taylor 214ce a Segualhand crafted from Quebec. A Olympia Handmade no model #. Also a Fender Stratocaster and a Fender Telecaster. A LXK2-Mini from Martin, a Yamaha F335. Fisher acoustic amp and a Orange 20X amp. No the store I bought from really set me up good. If this was stolen I would go back to my 214CE because it was cheaper and plays just as well. I love the looks and sound I hate that I could have gotten same looks for about 1, 000 dollars less. I give it 6 overall since you could get the same thing for much much less.