612CE review by Taylor

Taylor: 612CE

Purchased from: N/A

This thing sings, Has such a mellow, warm tone to it. It sounds great when strummed but is really great when fingerpicked. The bass is nearly as deep as a dreadnought except it sounds mellower. The treble rings out when playing melodies over the top aswell. You don't actually want to put it back in the case after you've finished playing.

I play a mixture of everything, from classical to jazz, blues to, Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel acoustic stuff, this guitar will play it all except maybe a scorching saturated guitar solo - but thats what the Les Paul is for. I've seen Prince with one of these except his is Purple. If you want to invest in a great acoustic which you can be proud of, I'd recommend this one as it sits in your lap nicely and feels intimate unlike some acoustics.

This guitar doesn't go out of tune easily, I'd probably buy some strap locks to be sure. I'd definately gig with this guitar, although backups are always necessary.

The action is near enough perfect, you can play flawlessly over the fretboard and barre chords at the 14th fret with ease. The tuners stay in tune. I can't actually see any errors yet with this aspect of the guitar. The big leaf maple, glossy finish looks great.

This is a 2004 Taylor 12CE, made in California I believe. It has an expression system, which is basically an onboard system so I can alter the volume, bass and treble of the guitar. It's made from Big Leaf Maple I believe it's called. It has a 3 piece back, very nicely finished. It has a cutaway at the 14th fret, gold grovers, glossed finish, pearl inlays 20frets, ebony fretboard and it came with Light Elixirs and also a very plush deluxe hardhall case with a black furry interior, a compartment for the papers and some cables. Not much apart from the fact the case has a leather handle and about 6 gold locks. Not much more you can ask from an electro acoustic.

Harley Ultra
    I just bought a new 2004 612CE and it is fantastic. I got it on sale for $1989.00 plus tax - what a deal. I am a new player and wanted to get a nice guitar to inspire me to play every day. No problem - every time I see it I pick it up and have a go. My wife says it sounds good even when I hit the wrong chords.