914CE review by Taylor

Taylor: 914CE

Purchased from: Music Zoo

Taylor 914CE (made in 2014).

- Size/Shape: Grand Auditorium enhanced with Venetian Cutaway: Mid-Sized with multi-dimensional tones. Brilliantly satisfies a large spectrum of styles and is perfect for both finger style & strumming.
- Wood: Back & sides: Solid Indian Rosewood for deeper lows and brighter highs with a sweeping mid-range. A traditional highly sought after tone wood. Top: Solid Sitka Spruce which makes a perfect sound board that provides a dynamic range of glorious sound. Bracing: CV Bracing- only on higher end models for stronger, fuller, fatter sound. Neck- Solid Tropical Mahogany that's satin finished smooth & comfortable.
- Electronics: Expression System 2: Taylor's most advanced electronic amplification technology. The ES2 blossoms a clean professional grade sound that delivers beautifully. The ES2 also boasts 3 separate sensors with equalization monitoring to ensure the highest quality output available. This is what an acoustic should sound like when plugged in.

Appointments include:

My 914CE came with custom Shaded Edge Burst: Different color scheme than optional Tobacco Sunburst or Honey Burst. The color design provides a nice transition from the darker Indian Rosewood sides to the lighter Sitka Spruce top. It also makes the Abalone trim/inlay pop with sparkle & shine.

914CE comes with lots of Bling Bling:

- Abalone Trim: surrounding the sound hole, body, and end of neck.
- Cindy Inlay: Unique inlay design at each fret marker.
- Mother of Pearl: Taylor custom design headstock art.
- Gloss Ebony headstock cover.
- Dots on Pins with Ebony Bridge
- Red Purling Binding Accents

Other Appointments:

- Antique Gold 510 Gotoh Tuners
- Bone Nut & Saddle for a cleaner deeper sustained sound
- Flatter Fretboard for perfect action & playability. Makes barre chords a breeze!!!
- Premium Hard-shell Case
- Elixir Nanoweb HD light strings.

I did lots & lots of research prior to making such a large purchase for a guitar. My #1 priority was sound quality. I wanted sweet deep lows that deliver the right amount of bass. I like clean highs that sizzles & sustain with balance. I play rock, blues, jazz, & country.I sometimes finger pick, but mostly pick strum & arpeggio. The 914CE is amazing when plugged in. I just use an acoustic amp I got at Guitar Center a few years ago. It's clean & nice. The new ES2 system blows away the older system. It was a major difference when compared. The acoustic actually sounded like an acoustic. It didn't have those strange amped sounds of unbalanced notes with mixed high & lows. The balance and clarity was full & rich with authenticity. The 914CE is so wonderfully smooth and pure.

Concerning Action, Fit, & Finish; expect nothing but perfection at this level. Taylor does a superb job finishing a work of art. I mean, they make high quality guitars that sounds superior, plays like a dream, & looks stunningly gorgeous at the same time. If your budget doesn't quite permit a 914CE, then the next best thing to get great sound & quality is the 714CE. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of a 914CE, but the 714CE sounds & plays very nice when comparing. Both are in their own class, but when budgets are concerned the 714CE will be worth checking out. I don't work for Taylor or anyone who does; I'm just providing my opinion based on my playing style & the sound their guitars display.

Reliability & Durability goes without question. The 914CE is solid. Look inside and compare its bracing and overall construction with any guitar in the same class. You will see & feel the difference in construction. While you're looking inside the soundhole you should not only notice it's built like a tank, but all the bracing has rounded edges for smoother sound reflection. Every detail is exactly perfect. My and a friend who knows guitars very well looked it over real good. We were trying to find something wrong with it, but the more we tried the more I fell in love with it.

With such perfect tonewoods & construction design, the sound of the 914CE should be witnessed first hand. Go play one! It has a wonderful feel with a medium size & shape of body. The fretboard is fantastic & smooth. Taylor 914CE met the priorities of what I wanted to just sit, relax & play a fine instrument. Its beauty is astonishing & the sound & playability is something that's absolutely phenomenal. I searched & searched "high end" guitars all over many big & small retailers. I played everything I could get my hands on. Nothing came close!

k2ws1
    It's just like anything else - if you can't *hear* the difference, why *pay* the difference? For the bling? Hardly. I'm thinking that Taylor is beginning to price itself out of the mainstream market.
    shipper
    Can anybody find a price in this review?
    the_bi99man
    There's not one. But the guitar's MSRP is just shy of $6K. It actually retails for about $4,500 at any authorized Taylor dealer.
    ewolf5150
    i bought a used perfect condition 412ce and it sounds great. it doesn't have all the flash of the 914 but i love the body shape and sound. i remember trying the high end models at guitar center and sound wise its just not worth the price difference. it just looks much cooler and classier. one day i'll probably get one but imo, your paying for the looks, not the sound. my 412ce sounds leagues better than my cheap seagull $400 guitar. its not and day difference, even my brother who i let use my seagull is always like dude your taylor sounds 10x better.