Big Baby review by Taylor

Taylor: Big Baby

Purchased from: music unlimited

My style is finger picking early american country/blues. only pick is a sometimes thumb. The sound is very even... perfect for finger picking. The strings I left on for now are Elixer 11's. Never was a big fan, couldn't understand the big deal, so far have kept them on, so have nothing to compare to, but it sounds so good for my purpose I don't want to mess with the mojo. I went into the store loaded for bear cash wise, went to the top shelf right away. beautiful guitars and sound but not right for the early blues.. too pretty. I didn't even try the acoustic/electrics then frankly only out of curiousity, I gave the Big Baby a try. The whole exsperience was a shock, from the ease of playing to the even perfect sound I was looking for. I did a couple of tunes and was sold. The person at the counter wanted to get me a new one in the box, but I insisted on this demo because I was afraid any other one wouldn't have the same feel and sound/tone. I'm not sure if it would be a good strummer, but it sure is a picker. Great for different tunings. Medium tension tunings are real sweet.

Perfect guitar for picking/slide and different tunings. although if the tunings are low tension you have to be especially ligt with the slide naturally. Been playing since 63'. At this time I own 1 electric jazz box with 2 57 Gibson pups. 1 semi hollow. 2 Vintage regal acousticsa. a 30's parlor and and arctop. one stell body and the Taylor. My over all impression is, if I had to give up all my guitars but one, I would keep the Taylor. it's not a high end Gibson acoustic or any other high end but it's perefect for what I do.

The body of this guitar would not take much I believe to damage it. Its a light guitar, but I treat it as I do my others and I depend on it enough for buskin. I would like to re-string with 12's but I am a little leary although I've been told most players use twelves. As it is the intonation is spot on up and down and across, wouldn't ant any caving in, but might go with twelves and lighten up the fat one.

Action is is perfect for my medium sized hand.. neck medium feel, the frets are dressed perfectly and although it's not a cut away, get above the 12th fret is no problem and the intonation remains. The finish, as I wrote above is very stark.. I like it, in fact I use twine as did Blind Lemon Jefferson as a "strap". There is nothing wrong with the finsish, but the again there is not much of a finsish, seems almost like just buffed spruce. No flaws in the construction. Perfect looking for me.

Spruce top, no electronics (thankfully) not much of a finish. very stark in appearence. thin but efficient pickguard, etching around sound hole. 14 frets to body. not pretty, not ugly. Big ole moustache bridge with the insert made with special attention to the 2nd string. came with gig bag.. nice one.