DN3 review by Taylor

Taylor: DN3

One of the main things that always turned me away from Taylor guitars was there notoriously over-bright signature sound. However, with new bracing and selection of tone woods, the DN3's slightly modified dreadnought style body gives a better emphasis in the bass registers, while still giving you that classic Taylor clarity in the high end. I honestly sat down with this guitar, strummed three chords and say "wow". Not a single other Taylor in that store, regardless of price, was able to make me do that.

Possibly one of the best things about this guitar is it's versatility. I play Post Rock to Bluegrass and this guitar handled it all. Even finger picked, the DN3 maintained a clarity that I have yet to hear from any Martin or Gibson. As for a final thought: Taylor has a life-time warranty on all there certified guitars. With a promise like that, and a price like this, you would have to be crazy to look elsewhere.

The DN3 looks light, but once you pick it up, this thing has more guts than a George Romero film. Gig wise, this guitar is definitely stage worthy; drop a mic in front of this guy and enjoy the show. The only problem I could see coming from the DN3 down the road, is the Taylor-brand stock tuners. Other than that, I can imagine this guitar lasting a lifetime and then some.

I've played a lot of lemon's over the years, so I've learned to really scrutinize over the details of an acoustic guitar before making the effort to buy. The finish reflected Taylor's attention to detail, as it was cured flawlessly and remained free of wear and tear. Neck wise, the action was set perfectly; a barre chord could be played up the entire register with ease. Each fret was well dressed, with the exception of one fret which was slightly rounded at one end. But I would still give Taylor the benefit of the doubt here. This model has been on Guitar Center's wall for quite some time now, and as most of us know, a lot of the people going into GC each day aren't necessarily "careful" with the instruments.

Although relatively similar to the it's pre-2007 counterpart, the 310, the DN3 offers a breathe of fresh air into the world of all-solid wood guitars, with improvements to boot. With features such as a solid Sitka spruce top, solid Sapele back/sides and an ebony fret board, the DN3 holds it's own with guitar's costing twice as much. One of the only downsides I saw in the DN3 was it's lack of pick guard. Which, although this isn't a huge problem, after coughing up almost a grand, I think Taylor owes you at least the option to choose for yourself.

fe01134
    I love my Taylor DN3. Of all the acoustics I played in this price range it was the best.
    Nemmers
    Just bought the Taylor DN3e from Sweetwater. Best decision I've made in years. This guitar has it all. It's beautifully made and I'm really happy with the sound. Highly recommended.
    rangermanII
    Just dumped my DN3 and purchased an Eastman E10OM. This Eastman blows the doors off the DN3 in both sound and ease of play. If are looking for a great guitar for around a grand, Eastman is the way to go. Taylor make really nice guitar, but you have to start at the 400 series to get a guitar that you will want to keep for a lifetime. Find a shop that sells Eastman traditional series and you'll see. Try the E10D if you are able to find one, the shops that sell Eastman are having a hard time keeping them in stock.