GS8 review by Taylor

Taylor: GS8

Purchased from: Music Emporium

After playing 10-15 guitars the day I purchased this one, I knew this was the one. The unique body shape and size produces a sound like no other guitar. The bass response on this is quite amazing. Because this body is so big, it handles heavy strumming extremely well. The guitar also has great mids, and bright Taylor hi's as always. Fingerpicking on this guitar won't be like those custom martins, but it still sounds very good. If you finger pick a decent amount in your playing, you should still definitley consider this guitar. I play everything from rock to jazz and blues. I believe this guitar can fit any style. Overall, the sound on this guitar is stunning. The body produces a loud, full, clear sound.

After comparing this guitar to other Taylors, and Custom Martins, this one just stood out. The sound that comes out of this guitar is so full and crisp. I hadn't heard anything like it before. I think Taylor hit it perfectly here. I have been playing 8 years, and I don't think I have played a guitar as nice as this before. That's why I had to get it. If this was stolen, I would have to buy it again, even with the big price tag. The guitar looks expensive, but the price is actually quite cheap considering the fine woods and materials you have here. Rosewood is just getting rarer and rarer, so I had to go for it. Overall, this is my favorite guitar, and maybe the nicest acoustic I have played to this day. The sound of this guitar will not disappoint you.

Like all acoustics, this guitar will only get nicer as it gets older. I also believe because of the rare Indian Rosewood, that it will become more valuable over the years as long as it is kept in great condition. The hard ware is all nice, and tight, I haven't worried about a thing yet. The bracing on this guitar is also really strong, and the guitar is very durable, which is great because you don't want an expensive guitar like this getting damaged so easily.

The action on this guitar was great. The salesman made a slight adjustment for me, and it is in tip-top shape. I didn't see a single flaw here. The guitar stays in tune very well, the bracing is strong. With the quality materials in this guitar, this guitar couldn't function any better.

Taylor guitars are made in California. This guitar I think has the features any great acoustic does: solid sitka spruce top, east indian rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fret board and bridge, 20 frets. Gloss finish. The guitar has a beautiful inly of abalone dots. The GS refers to the body. It stands for Grand Symphony, which is bigger than Grand Concert and Grand Auditorium. Gold plated Taylor tuners, and strap buttons here. I got a free hard shell case along with a free humidifier.