NS32CE review by Taylor

Taylor: NS32CE

Purchased from: The Fret Shop

My style is mostly picked acoustic but I do cross over into jazz, blues, and harder rock. I purchased this particular guitar for jazz and more classical work with no particular electronics or processing in mind at the time of purchase. Since purchase, I've used it with my Zoom A2.1u Acoustic Effects Pedal, connected to a Fender Twin Reverb (1999 replica) amp. The sound is clean and clear. The NS32ce has a rich, deep sound. The Fishman pre-amp easily adds brightness when needed, but you don't play a nylon string if you want a bright sound. The deep tones are brilliant with no string buzz even when tuned down to Open C. The guitar came configured with "D'Addario Pro-ART Extra Hard Tension" nylon strings which are a very nice fit for this guitar.

I have been playing off and on for about 27 years. I have always favored the deep, rich tones of a nylon string guitar and enjoyed playing one when visiting guitar shops. I have played many models, Taylor and otherwise, that I couldn't afford. I decided on the Taylor NS32CE (the least expensive of the Taylor nylon string series) having never touched this particular model. Although I was uncomfortable with that decision, it turned out to be a good one. Taylor simply makes good guitars. In addition to my Taylor NS32CE, I also own a Taylor T5-S acoustic/electric, a Danelectro DC-12 12-stiring cutaway electric, an Ibanez Stratocaster, an Alvarez 6-string acoustic, a J.B. Player 6-string acoustic, and my oddest guitar, a Traveler Guitar Escape.

The Taylor NS32CE is solid Taylor quality. It is designed to outlast it's owner, that is, so long as the owner takes reasonable care of it. The hardware is solid. The finish is satin with a gloss top, no pick guard, but this is not the type of guitar one would strum a lot, or at least, I'm not a strummer so that is of no consequence.

The Taylor was shipped to my dealer via UPS during the stinking hot, humid Alabama summer, and neither the UPS warehouse nor trucks are climate controlled. The dealer gave it a once-over but, being Brand New and having been shipped through less-than-wonderful conditions, the guitar took a few weeks of playing to break in and become stable. This was not unexpected. All other cosmetic, physical and mechanical aspects of the NS32ce were what you'd expect of a new Taylor guitar, the guitar had no flaws.

My Taylor NS32CE was manufactured in 2007 by Taylor Guitars of El Cajon (San Diego), California. It is the bottom end of Taylor's nylon string series. Although I would have preferred the high end NS74ce model, this one is no less beautiful. The NS32CE is 6-string Grande Concert acoustic with a solid Sitka Spruce top, Sapele sides & back, a Tropical American Mahogany neck, an Indian Rosewood headstock, and Mexican Cypress for the soundhole rosette. The bridge and fretboard (18 frets) are ebony. The headstock is outfitted with Ping Classical Gold tuners with ivory-like (no elephants killed) buttons. The guitar is outfitted with a Fishman Preflex Pro pre-amp that includes phase, notch, volume, brilliance, treble, mid, and bass controls. The pre-amp is run with a 9-volt battery that is automatically switched when a cable is plugged into the combination strap button/jack. The guitar came with a black hard-shell case.

crookedpath
    Please let me make an addendum. My Taylor NS32CE had a fall, shearing the tuner for the G string. Taylor promptly provided a replacement unit for the 3 high tuners. That solved the obvious problem, but not quite. Two of the posts round which the strings wrap had cracked, but on the low three strings. I scavenged from the tuning posts from the unit with a broken tuner and all is well. In summary, I screwed up and the guys at Taylor quickly responded with parts that fortunately turned out to be interchangeable with others I didn't realize I had broken. Thanks guys.