VW100 review by Vantage

Beautiful sound and playability. This is my first guitar that I got for my birthday in 1994 and I still use it. It has been handled roughly here and there but always taken care of including making sure the guitar stayed at proper humidity. There is a bit of fret buzz high up on the neck; it just needs a setup and some fret leveling.

I play mostly Acoustic guitar, I like to strum and fingerpick. I have been playing since 94. I have higher end equipment now and have played many nice guitars friends have owned. If it were stolen I would not be able to replace it because it is full of sentimental value and they are no longer made. That being said these guitars from what I have seen have great value and would buy another if I came across one used. It's no high end guitar but it sounds good, plays good, and has held up well. A very good bargain for a solid wood guitar. If oyu are looking for a good starter guitar this is a good choice.

I have played live with it but it lacks in projection because it is a small guitar, I use a DM woody soundhole pickup in it and amplified the guitar is mid rangy and a bit twangy. I think it would sound better with a better pickup. The guitar is very durable and has held up to my teenage years well! The neck is still straight and action is still low.

Guitar was well setup from what I can remember! The guitar did not contain any flaws. Eventually the tuning peg screw holes got loose but that is an easy fix with a toothpick and wood glue. In the first few years of playing the bridge lifted just enough to fit a pick under the tail end, but the lifting has stopped and was never repaired.

This is the Vantage VF-5, it was made in Korea in 1993. It is a Concert size similar to a 000 Martin with a regular 14 fret neck. The top is solid spruce and the sides, back, and neck are solid mahogany. The finish is clear lacquer. No electronics and cheap tuners. Nothing was included in the guitar sale.

Dutch K9
    The Vantage VW-series was introduced in 1979. This VW100 is definately Japanese made, most likely (but unconfirmed) by Matsumoku. The Vantage acoustics from 1991-1999 were made by Samick in South Korea and Indonesia. Although the Korean/Indonesian ones are pretty good value for money, the Japanese are of a different class. These are instruments to grab and hold on to, if you're lucky enough to find one.
    eos2voyage
    Hey I have a Vantage VA-25 up FOR SALE. MADE IN JAPAN is written inside on label marked Sound by Design with serial and model number. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ACOUSTIC GUITAR WITH STEEL STRINGS AND HAS BEEN WELL LOOKED AFTER. The woodwork is superb, the action is nice and low and easy to use. There are 14 frets accessible and 21 altogether. Plays nicely and always has. Am selling because I am heading off overseas from Sydney, Australia. Anyone know what it might be worth to sell please. Cheers, Colin