V1500N Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 07/31/2009 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Vintage: V1500N
 3.7
 7.4
 1,529
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
V1500N Reviewed by: Laurie G, on july 31, 2009

Price paid: C$ 621

Purchased from: Retrotown Music

Features: This beautiful 21 fret combination Rosewood, Maple and more naturally finished guitar was made in early 2000's. I purchased it in November 2008. I believed it was manufactured in the UK but I have read other reviews stating Vintage is made in China? I'm not sure anymore. I have tried contacting the manufacturer regarding some issues but have not received any replies allbeit I only did this 6 days ago. This guitar stands out among others, it's gorgeous. // 9

Sound: I play for leisure only and this guitar far exceeds my current ability. It was a super gift to myself with some extra cash that came to me, I also have a $140 Renaissance which I take to work and play kids songs at circle time. This Vintage has a very rich sound to it when it is tuned. Problem is keeping the bridge glued on to keep it playable. Like I said, I have limited ability and it could make much more beautiful music in the hands of an experienced player. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Purchased in November 2008, the bridge came unglued by February. With more experience I would have probably noticed sooner, I could not keep it tuned and found it so hard to push down on the strings. I accidentally looked at it more closely and realized the bridge was almost completely unglued. It was repaired by some great technicians at Spaceman Music in Ottawa and I was thrilled. It happened again less than two months later and by April they repaired it for a second time. Last Saturday I noticed the bridge has come unglued for a third time. I'm sure that the technicians are doing all they can but what is wrong with this guitar? Other than this one MAJOR FLAW, I really adore this guitar. // 5

Reliability & Durability: With a properly attached bridge, I believe this guitar should last for generations. I have a beautiful leather strap that wraps it all up perfectly. It does not come with a plate under the opening and I'm wondering about the wood where the pick sometimes hits. A friend musician told me you can purchase this and add it on your own. Still on the fence about covering up the wood or wear and tear. I like, however, that I had the option. // 8

Overall Impression: Family, friends and children at the daycare - these are the people I play for and this Vintage V1500N is more than a good match. I have 3 other Acoustic guitars in this household but Vintage is the King. I paid the most for this one and I expected it would be of the best quality. None of the other guitars have bridges that have come unglued, let alone three times in 9 months. Something has to be wrong with this? I'm looking for feedback from all the experienced guitar gurus. What are my options at this point? I love the guitar, it looks beautiful and sounds great - WHEN IT'S GLUED. My husband told me to get this guitar immediately when he heard it in the store after playing a few others. Oh ya, forgot to mention another important fact! Sorry, The Music store I purchased it at, Retrotown Music, closed it's doors in February - the same week I noticed the unglued bridge for the first time. I chose to have the work done at Spaceman Music because I was scared to lose my guitar at the place that was closing. He is no longer available as an option to contact, I'm assuming. // 8

Comments