G740CE Review

manufacturer: Walden date: 05/17/2013 category: Acoustic Guitars
Walden: G740CE
This guitar is ideal for a beginner with deep pockets or and intermediate player, or anyone who wants a great sounding instrument for a bargain.
 7.9
 7.8
 6,550
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
G740CE Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2013

Price paid: £ 384.99

Purchased from: Red cow Music

Features: Designed in the USA but made in China, but not some poor quality guitar shop, this was clearly made by decent luthiers. It has 20 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, with a solid spruce top, laminated mahogany sides and solid mahogany back. The neck is made of one piece of mahogany and the whole guitar has an awesome nitrocellulose satin finish. The body shape is grand auditorium with a cutaway. Electronics wise, the B-Band T35 does a nice job with built in tuner that silences the guitar when tuning and plugged into an amp. Mine came with a gigbag, which is ok but a bit thin, I'll most likely be buying a hard case for it. // 8

Sound: The G740CE sounds great both strummed and played fingerstyle, with a warm bassy tone from the deep body. I play mostly acoustic rock and a small amount of folk, which this guitar suits wonderfully. The quality of the wood is great considering the price, most guitars around this range only have solid tops, not backs as well. I don't often play through an amplifier, as I only have an ancient torque and a tiny Shine (both brands I've never even heard of) but when I played in the shop it sounded great clean and with a hint of reverb too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: All the hardware is of good quality, and considering china's reputation for guitar production, this really goes against the stereotype. All the wood looks great, the back is split down the middle by a strip of decorative binding-like stuff (sorry I don't know what its called!) The nitrocellulose lacquer is really nice to the touch, it makes the whole thing feel more natural and has no imperfections. The set-up was exactly how I like it, the action is low but not too low, however this was done at the shop I bought it from, I'm not sure how its set factory fresh. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Although I haven't used the guitar live yet, I think it will withstand live playing just fine. Everything about the instrument is solid and dependable although there is no strap button on the heel of the neck. Also, the strap button on the body is also the jack socket, so I don't think locking strap buttons are an option. I would be happy to gig without a backup guitar. The finish is really nice but may wear through after some vigorous playing although I'm not sure how noticeable it would be seeing as its sort of soaked into the grain and has a very natural colour. // 7

Overall Impression: To summarise this guitar, I would say that it is ideal for a beginner with deep pockets or and intermediate player, or anyone who wants a great sounding instrument for a bargain. I looked and tried out many Tanglewood guitars which I think really have market dominance at this price range, but in my opinion the woods they use just don't sound as good as Walden's selection. If it was stolen, I would mourn my loss for a while then probably buy another Walden, maybe a higher range model, purely for variety not because the G740CE isn't good. I honestly can't think of anything this guitar doesn't have that it should considering the price except maybe a strap button at the heel, but I can put one in myself. Overall I think this is a great instrument, and if you find it at a lower price, a complete no brainer! Video from YouTube:

// 9