WD10S Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 02/20/2016 category: Acoustic Guitars
Washburn: WD10S
For a guitar that can sound good with really any style, this is a great guitar, especially if you change your strings.
 7.7
 7.8
 7.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
WD10S Reviewed by: ChrisFitz, on february 20, 2016

Purchased from: Mountain Rock Music

Features: 20 fret fretboard. Made in China. Washburn tuners. Does NOT have any electric pickups. Laminated top but it is a spruce top, so it really doesn't matter soundwise. Neck, sides, and back are all mahogany with a rosewood fretboard and a spruce top. It has a pretty shiny finish on it but nothing over the top. It has no pickguard, however I did put on an aftermarket red marble custom hummingbird design on it. My guitar came with a cheap gig bag, a tuner, and some picks and stuff but it cost extra money for it and I'm pretty sure that was a deal from the store I bought it from and not from the actual company. // 8

Sound: To begin with, I have gone through a couple pairs of strings with this guitar. The stock strings were extremely bright sounding. It sounded amazing for chords and being loud. However I am more of an indie finger picker, so I changed the strings to some D'Addario light strings. That made a world of difference and turned the guitar from a decent beginners guitar into a guitar that you can really play on. I have played many guitars in many different price ranges, and this guitar honestly sounds like a $600 guitar. Now obviously a guitar that costs a ton more will probably sound better. But when I compare this to my friends Ibanez and many other guitars I have played, for the price of this guitar it tops almost all of them. Due to a spruce top the guitar really resonated with the strings and therefore strings make a big difference, so you can get any sound you want out of this guitar with both the kind of strings, and even where you strum on the strings and what pick you use. For example, the stock strings mixed with a skinny pick makes for an extremely bright sound that would be good for country music and some folk. If you throw some lighter strings on and use a thicker pick you get a very very deep and beautiful indie tone. And in the middle you can get alternative, rock, and everything else you would want. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high for me in the upper frets but I had my luthier give the truss rod a slight adjustment for free and it made it even better. I also usually play with a capo so it makes for a really low action once said and done. But the action is quite nice, but could use a truss rod adjustment. The bridge is wonderfully routed but I'm not sure if they bridge and nut are custom. But you can't ask for much more from a fully bound beautifully sounding mahogany-spruce guitar that's only $250. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It had no flaws when I bought it and was in beautiful condition. I would and have used this guitar for live performances without a backup (I did have backup strings, but no backup guitar). The finish is very good. It is fully binded around everything, including the headstock and the front and the back of the guitar. However I did put on an aftermarket pickguard just in case. But I honestly do not think it will make a difference in the life of the guitar, I put on the pickguard more for looks. I have traveled with this guitar, gone camping with this guitar, performed, and lived with this guitar for a year now and it still sounds perfect, looks perfect, and plays perfect. So you can't ask for more than that. // 8

Overall Impression: I play indie fingerpicking songs for the most part, which this guitar is great for. But I do prefer to use my other guitars for this specific style of playing. But for a guitar that can sound good with really any style, this is a great guitar, especially if you change your strings. I would rebuy this guitar if it was stolen. I wish it had electric pickups but it doesn't. However I will be putting in aftermarket pickups in the future because it would sound very nice electrically outputed. I love the sound and it is a very pretty guitar. The only thing I dislike was the stock strings which obviously can easily be changed. Wonderful guitar ESPECIALLY for its price. // 8

Comments