WD54SW review by Washburn

Washburn: WD54SW

Purchased from: Music123.com

This guitar sounds really professional many of the songs I play sound just as good as the original recordings very full and balanced sound, with good sustain. I mostly use a pick with it, I play mostly rock music (ex. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Collective Soul, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains, etc) but it also sounds wonderful fingerpicked like two totally different guitars, it sounds really good when playin' Tears In Heaven and nothing else matters especially.

Overall I'm glad I went with this guitar, as I kept ranting on about, the guitar does have solid back and sides made of ovankol which is used in the Taylor 400's acoustic line, and thats the only other place I've seen it, it's kind like a mix of rosewood and mahogany but way way prettier than either one. This guitar plays good, and sounds good, but the beauty really stands out. I'd say this is the best acoustic you can get for $500 to me it's basically a Taylor at half the price the both have the exact same features, and I also got a quality hardshell case with the guitar.

This is my first all solid acoustic, and coming up from laminated back and sides this guitar does not feel as durable, but you just have to be a little careful with it, I'm probably too careful, hardware is great especially the tuners very durable (Gold Grover's), the finish does seem like it will last a long time, and the frets are of quality.

Action from the factory was pretty good, I've seen lower for the money but usually other guitars don't sound or look no where near as good as this Washburn. I'm fortunate enough to know the ex-guitar tech for the band Candlebox, I had him give it a proffesional setup and now have the action as low as my electric Ibanez 2. 0mm at the 12th fret on the bass E, and 1.5mm on the treble e. Finish is really nice great inlays and headstock great detail and workmanship on the abalone, which really defines this guitar, fit and finish is almost flawless, the only noticable flaw is a slight difference in the bookmatching, but everything else is up there with the best.

Dreadnought Bought brand new in 2005, 21 frets, solid spruce top, with solid ovankol back and sides, very beautiful with gold grover tuners, abalone inlays, headstock logo, and around the front of the guitar and soundhole, gloss finish, mahogany neck with ebony fretboard and bridge, came with incredibly nice Washburn hardshell case the guitar is completly solid wood and smells, sounds and plays exceptional.