APX500 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: APX500

Purchased from: American Music

The sound is simply incredible for the price and the body depth. It is mellow and quiet when played lightly, and responds with twang when you push it. It is silent only when you want it to be. It is rich, full, and deep, with good response in every style I've put it through. It sparkles like polaris.

I play many styles, and it fits all (because I don't play metal). I have played or five years, and I own mostly electric things. If someone were to steal this guitar, I would buy a Martin or Taylor - wait, no! I would look up where a spleen was located, and then track them down and rip it out from them! It's got my blood in it c'mon! There isn't a thing about it that I don't both love and hate. I chose this because it sounded good and was cheap. I wish it was louder.

All I have to say about this guitar is that you can sit on it rather hard, and you can still fix it in an hour or two. Or for sixty bucks at your local shop. I would definitely use this at a gig, but would not depend on it solely. The finish is prefect all over the guitar.

The setup was lousy when I bought it, but being a home luthier has its advantages! After I adjusted and tweaked it a bit, it was playing like my pa's Vintage Martin. Well, almost half as well. The plastic ring around the oval soundhole had a few chips in it, but nothing wrong with it affected the sound and playability.

My 2010 APX 500 was made in Indonesia, this 22 fret acoustic-electric. It has nato back and laminate spruce top. It is a thinline, and has a remarkably skinny fretboard, so it caters to players with smaller hands. The neck finish is a high gloss lacquer, so when your hand gets sweaty, the thing slows down. The body shape is a single cutaway that looks slightly warped. It has active electronics powered by a 9V battery. You get high, low, and mid contour controls, as well as a frequency slider. There is also a volume knob. The pickups are Yamaha stock and are saddle mounted. The tuners are also Yamaha stock, non-locking. I got a $200 case with mine, but that was just because of the store I was in.