APX5A review by Yamaha

Yamaha: APX5A

Purchased from: Sound Control

The guitars acoustic sound is a real bright, full and rich sounding though when played through the amp it rattles like hell. It delivers a great tone for a wide range of guitar styles. The acoustic tone makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up so it definatly deserves the top rating here.

I play punk and rock and this is really good for all the acoustic bits. I've played the guitar for about 4 and a half years and over that time I have aquired a Gibson SG Standard, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, an Ibanez GAX30 and a Gibson Humming Bird acoustic and this one ranks right up there with them. I love its sweet tone and playability but hate that damnn pickup. Anyway it has everything I need and it would appeal to an advanced player, beginer or pro.

Excellent. The finish (if not taken care of) could possably scratch a bit though.

Apart from the pick up this is a killer axe.

It is an electro-acoustic guitar therefore has a pickup inside its hollow body. It has a lovely worn rosewood neck with 22 frets and a laminated top. Although it has the electro-acoustic feature I just use it as an acoustic guitar (reason stated under sound).

J.Marshall
    i also own this guitar but theres a wire that rattles against the body from the inside at some frequencies but it's no big deal
    Jaqvaar
    Been a professional musician for over 20 years. I got this one as a part-exchange for my Ovation Concert and have been very impressed. It's probably the best guitar I've owned so far, especially if you consider value for money. It is extremely easy to play, has fast action and does not tire you if you've got long gigs. I've played with a $2000 Guild, and I'd say the Yamaha is better, or at least close enough. I love the sound (as it is) and did not find the need to change anything (except the strings every now and then of course). When gigging, I use a little reverb on it, but that's all. It's not loud enough for playing at home with friends etc (as opposed to most acoustic guitars that can double as classical) but you can still use it to practice without the amp. It's also slightly thinner than most guitars, which means (apart from the volume disadvantage) that it's lighter and smaller to carry (perhaps I'm just comparing it to the bulky Fender CD-60CE that I've also got). I've been very satisfied with this guitar for the 2+ years that I've had it and would definitely recommend it to anyone for both live concerts and recordings.
    Clifford_D
    This guitar is awesome for the tempermental player. I have had mine for allmost ten years. The only thing mine is suseptible tpo is pick-chip Mine was a blue starfire finish. I fixed that my moving to the light nylon pick and dialing back my aggressive playing style. I love the sound and when i hook my tube amp up it make awesome tone