C40 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: C40

As I have already said this is my first guitar and since I have been learning to play the guitar I have encountered and used many different styles of music on the guitar from; classical numbers such as "Greensleeves" and the likes of Oasis "Wonderwall". Both of the two contrasting sounds are reproduced with a warm vibrant tone with a rich tonal and bass range when strumming and finger picking. The guitar has a good volume, due to it's shape, and responds well to slides and hammers.

This guitar is fantastic. Although I have only been playing two months and have very little guitar experience I have played many different guitars in the hunt for a steel strung varient, however I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the natural warm tones of this guitar. The only thing I wish it had (and I'm going to install) is an acoustic pickup. This is purely so I can still be heard properly when playing with my bassist and drummer.

So far I have only played in jamming sessions with a drummer and a bass player however it stood up to the test. Although I was not playing the guitar with too much vigour it was fine and lost no tune. A lot of people have been complaining about the tuners. Personally I have had no problem with them. My guitar only needs to be retuned after about two months which is not too much of a chore. Also as previously stated the finish is a bit thin and without the padded gig bag I have I do suspect that the guitar would soon start to show signs of damage.

The guitar was set up by the professional at the guitar shop so I can't comment really on the manufacturers exact set up although the guitar has a good medium action and medium tension strings. Perfect for beginners such as myself. The guitar contained no flaws, however it had a slight paint chip on the back near the neck. I can understand why now as the finish seems to be quite thin although it is a very good looking guitar when polished.

Made in Indonesia this is my first guitar and on the whole I am very pleased with it. The guitar has a nice wide fretboard with 20 frets (technically 19) although both the 19th and 20th aren't fully playeable. The guitar is made from Indonesian mahogany and has a Javanese rosewood fretboard and bridge. All of the hardware is chrome and the finish is a laminated stain. The body style is that of a dreadnaught all be it a bit smaller, which allows it to sit nicely on ones lap.

wize
    Its my brothers first guitar and it became my first guitar so imagine now its 10 years and still we play on it and its the best guitar ever.
    Dumb91
    also my first and of course the bass notes are going to sound louder, they're wound in silver wich gives them more volume and sustain, the trebles are ment for picking not strumming but music choice is always up to the individual.