C40 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: C40

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Allans Music

I got this as my starter guitar, and it suited the purpose well. It has a nice clean sound, and is pretty versatile considering the price. I must admit, it sounded a bit too twangy at first, but it sounds a lot better with age. It's a pretty quiet guitar, but I kinda like it like that, it has a calming vibe. I play mostly classical, country and blues and it stood up quite well to the challenge. (Note: I'm giving it this score based on the fact that it a cheap guitar. If you stood it up to a Taylor or a Martin, it would obviously get outclassed, but considering the price, it is an amazingly versatile instrument).

Overall, this guitar is amazing (in a value for money sense). It plays pretty well for the cheapest guitar in the shop, is made to last, despite being a Chinese el cheapo, can definitely take a hit. I wish it's sound was a bit better (I had to get a Breedlove, as this couldn't keep up with me), but it served me well as a started guitar. If it was stolen, I'd find whoever took it and steal it back; I'm quite attached to the thing. Great all rounder guitar and I'd definitely recommend it as a starter.

This thing is the most reliable guitar I've ever had. I treat my guitars pretty well, but as my cheapest one (I own a Gibson Les Paul 57 Reissue and a Breedlove Retro D/ER), it's been thrown around a bit. So far, it's so far proved impossible to break; not a single dent, and never suffered anything more than a light scratch on the back, which in itself is barely noticeable. I wouldn't use it in a live gig (it isn't THAT good sounding!), but it would easily survive one. I can definitely count on it, it's the guitar I take around when I'm scared of breaking my others. The finish is also made to last, never suffered anything more than a VERY light scratch.

The guitar has a gloss finish, which looks just fine on it. It was playable straight out of the box, perfectly set up (although, as I said before, it had a kind of twangy sound for a little while until it aged out of it). Had it for almost 4 years now, and never had to get it set up, it's always been fine. It's pretty amazing how it manages to stay in tune so well; I've left it lying around overnight, or left it propped in the corner for weeks on end and when I pick it up, it never needs more than a bit of a tweak, if at all. It's made incredibly well considering that it's a Chinese el cheapo.

This guitar was made in 2008 in China, the home of the cheap guitar. It has 19 frets, although realistically only 12 can be reached without the body of the guitar blocking your fingers. It has a spruce top, nato neck and rosewood fingerboard (I think the back and sides are meranti?). As a classical guitar, it has nylon strings. I got mine with a bag and a tuner (it came in a pack). No electronics.

parrotbrandjuic
    I got my C40 for about USD125 with the bag. It is excellent quality for the price. The acoustic equivalent, F310 somehow is slightly better made and has similar price. I believe the reason Yamaha can produce such good quality guitars at such low price is due to the fact that they can source local hardwoods at the country of manufacture. Meranti and Nyatuh are very good tropical hardwoods. If it was mahogany, it would be more expensive. I have been playing this guitar for about 2 years now. It is not the best sounding guitar but it hold its tune well and it is light, and easy to play. It is hard to find any reason to upgrade to another classical guitar unless my playing skills improved exponentially. If this is lost and damaged, I will most likely get another C40!
    jsa54321
    I'm having an problem with my C-40, it plays all notes fine except for the high F(1st string, 1st fret)which comes out muffled to say the least. I have changed stings(with classical) several times all to no avail. Anybody have any suggestions? any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    parrotbrandjuic
    This is a classical guitar and it has a very thin laminated spruce on the top, if you use a pick with this guitar, the top will be scratched and damaged easily.