C40 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 06/11/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: C40
Beginners and young learners alike will appreciate the level of quality found in the C series classic guitars. These quality instruments deliver outstanding cost performance with exceptional playability and superb tone. The C series are full-size instruments with a level of quality only Yamaha can deliver.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 59,761
reviews (9) pictures (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
C40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2006

Purchased from: Italmelodie MTL

Features: Ok so first of all, this is Not an acoustic guitar but a classical guitar but since there is no review of them on this site, I put it in the acoustics. So this guitar has 19 frets, 20 for the E strings but they are not playable. of course, since it's a classical guitar, it has nylon strings. The body looks just like normal dark wood. It looks like a normal classical guitar. I think there is a gig bag included if you buy the "started kit" but I just bought the guitar alone. // 10

Sound: This is a classical guitar. It can play anything. You can play it with a pick or fingers (my personnal choice) and it will either way sound great. This guitar sounds beautiful. It costs 200 Canadian bucks but sounds soo good. It is not too noisy but it all depends on how heavy your strums are. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was flawless when I got it. It's great quality. The finish looks like it's always going to be there (maybe because there isn't any). It's very comfortable to play with. The shape of the body is just perfect for my legs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar fell on the floor and hit many walls and sharp stuff so many times I scratched the finish out of it at a few places on the bottom but that's all it's got and it still sounds as great as the first time I got it. I have owned it for a year now and I think it is going to last a lot of time unless I keep on hitting everything with it. I never played live with it but I know I will and it will survive. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches every style. I own this classical guitar and my brother owns a Takamine Jasmine. The C40 kicks the Jasmine's ass big time. I've been playing for a year and this guitar has been my first. It stays in tune for a very long time. Before buying it, I wish I had asked if it came with a gig bag because it would have saved me 30 bucks. Anyway, I love it because it just sounds great and is beautiful. It's comfortable to play. I chose it because I had no idea what to get and the salesman told me to take it but I never will regret it. If it was stolen or lost, I would kick the guy who took it's ass and I would then go to the shop, try every classical guitar I can afford and get the best one (which would probably be this one again). // 10

C40 Reviewed by: Trunx, on march 25, 2006

Purchased from: Tampereen musiikkikauppa

Features: The Yamaha C40 is propably the best choise for a person just starting to play an classical guitar. It's made in Indonesia by Y M M J Co. Ltd. in acordance with specifications of Yamaha Corporation (according to the sticker on the inside). It's made of a wood way too soft, so scratches and dents will be easily made on it. It has 19 frets and the neck is quite thick. It is not a large guitar. When I bought my Yamaha C40, I got a good case for it, though the case is heavy, bulky and way too heavy. // 8

Sound: It suites my music style very well (I play lots of blues, jazz and light rock). The sound is very bright, but you can't make a large variety of sounds with it. Too bad that you can't play any hard rock with it. The C40 stays in tune for a long time (though there are guitars that stay in tune longer). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The wood is poor quality (too soft); the guitar gets lots of dents. This guitar doesn't have any strap buttons on it. That's a bummer. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't think this guitar can withstand live playing, especially if it's hard rock. This is a classical guitar, so there aren't any strap buttons. Mine C40 has lasted for a long time in good shape, so I don't understand, why some people hate this and say that this won't last for long. // 7

Overall Impression: I play lots of soft music, and this is the perfect match for me. I've been playing for a couple of years now, and the guitar's in perfect shape. If it would be stolen, I'd definately get a new Yamaha C40. I love the soft and bright sounds that you can make with it. I hate that the wood's so soft, it gets lots of dents. I compared this to my friends Yamahas, and the C40 beats them fair 'n' square. I have to thank my music teacher for recommending this guitar. // 10

C40 Reviewed by: Beefyboy242, on february 22, 2006

Features: This guitar is like a Spanish guitar that Esteban would play if he was a homeless bum. The finish is really cheap, I've had it for less than a year and it is falling apart after moderate use and good care. It came in a box, nothing included (even for a Yamaha). If you ever come across one you will notice the tuners suck! All six are very unreliable and have a tendancy to break. // 2

Sound: I use GHS classical strings with this guitar and it sounds like crap. Unless you like how spanish music sounds from a drunk white guy in north dakota you will not like the sound of it. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much to say here. It sucks. Good to learn on for the first 5 weeks maybe, but after that youll want to throw it away realising how horrible it sounds and how much effort you must put into it for such a sound. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I feel that this guitar sucks in this category as well. I would not use it in a gig, unless I was playing with a half decent guitar then used the Yamaha at the last second to catch on fire. Hell, I bet it couldnt even be depended on for that. // 1

Overall Impression: This is great for someone learning their strings and 3 chords, then they will realize that there is not much required to make the guitar better. If you are within your first 6 months of playing it is good for bar chords but not the sound that using one should make. Usually a dull, horrible sound that you may destroy your guitar over. I wish it was overall better, and I compare it to any guitar in the world that is more than 50 bucks. // 2

C40 Reviewed by: wooki97, on may 18, 2010

Purchased from: Malaysia

Features: Top Spruce Back & Sides Meranti Neck Nato Fingerboard Rosewood Bridge Rosewood Strings Length 650mm (25.6') Tuning Chrome (YTM-01) Finish Gloss Finish Made in Indonesia No included acessories No electronics. Light body. non solid neck No Tuner. No Pickup Economical basic guitar // 8

Sound: Yamaha C40 suits me fine. I play classical and this is a good and economical guitar for beginners. There is no pickup so no amp and effects are used. The sound can be better. I find the tone is not balanced. The guitar is also a little light to my liking. The wood looks thin and sound volume is not the best. The feel of the neck seems cheap and does not come with varnish. Only after playing the guitar for a year, the varnish appears thru my fingers. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Nothing was flawed. All tuning pegs were in place. The treble strings however does sound louder than the 3 top bass strings. Therefore the tonal was perfectly balanced. Being a classical guitar, there were no pickup installed. Nothing loose or misaligned. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yamaha C40 is lightweight. The body of the guitar is thin and the neck is non solid. The guitar is pretty solid so it can withstand several knocks and bangs. The wood does need some polishing from time to time. Especiall yin the tropics like malaysia being humid and hot. I can use it as a backup. But this guitar may not last and may wear off after extensive play. // 7

Overall Impression: I play classical for 15 years. This guitar is a good beginner's guitar. Sound is not the best. The bass strings are softer in volume compared to the bottom 3 treble strings. If stolen, I would look elsewhere. I have tried other better guitars after the purchase. The most annoying bit is the volume and tonal imbalance of this guitar. I wish it had a tuner too. But for the price being cheaper than most in the market. I think I am asking too much. This guitar Yamaha C40 is a basic, no frills guitar. It is cheap and ideal for beginners. This was my first guitar and I bought the same model as a backup since it is one of the cheapest guitar for classical in the market (malaysia). To me there are better guitars around if you've got the money. // 7

C40 Reviewed by: guitarfan93, on august 21, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This guitar was made in 2005, it has a rosewood fretboard, and I'm not sure what the body or neck wood is. The finished is a tinted stain which most classical guitars have. It has a dreadnought shape with nylon strings. No electronics. This guitar also did not come with any accesories, but I would purchase a case for it. // 8

Sound: I do not play much classical guitar, but more acoustic jaxx, rock, and blues. The sound is very warm even for a cheap guitar. The bass notes come out more and resonate more than the treble ones, which isnt always bad but sometimes it is. This guitar is also can get loder than most steel sring guitars (because it is a dreadnought). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is pretty durable for a cheap guitar. The finish on this guitar is one of the better mimics of french staining I've seen in a long time. The tuners are not ver sturdy and are plastic but that is really the only thing I can complain about this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can rely o this guitar totally. The only thing that probaly wont last in th next 10 years is the tuners, but that can be replaced cheaply. The finish does seem a little thin, and minor ding would probaly let you see the natural color of the wood. This guitar does also not come with strap buttons, and if you want a strap you will need one of the ones that clamps to the soudhole and end of the neck. // 7

Overall Impression: For the price this is a wonderful begining classical guitar. If you are a pretty classical guitar player, I would chose a higher priced guitar simply because they would more suit your needs, but for the begginer this isa great guitar. This guitar also progects a lotr of sound out of it also. This overeall is a great guitar. // 8

C40 Reviewed by: Madsalty, on march 03, 2007

Features: Made in Indonesia this is my first guitar and on the whole I am very pleased with it. The guitar has a nice wide fretboard with 20 frets (technically 19) although both the 19th and 20th aren't fully playeable. The guitar is made from Indonesian mahogany and has a Javanese rosewood fretboard and bridge. All of the hardware is chrome and the finish is a laminated stain. The body style is that of a dreadnaught all be it a bit smaller, which allows it to sit nicely on ones lap. // 9

Sound: As I have already said this is my first guitar and since I have been learning to play the guitar I have encountered and used many different styles of music on the guitar from; classical numbers such as "Greensleeves" and the likes of Oasis "Wonderwall". Both of the two contrasting sounds are reproduced with a warm vibrant tone with a rich tonal and bass range when strumming and finger picking. The guitar has a good volume, due to it's shape, and responds well to slides and hammers. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up by the professional at the guitar shop so I can't comment really on the manufacturers exact set up although the guitar has a good medium action and medium tension strings. Perfect for beginners such as myself. The guitar contained no flaws, however it had a slight paint chip on the back near the neck. I can understand why now as the finish seems to be quite thin although it is a very good looking guitar when polished. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far I have only played in jamming sessions with a drummer and a bass player however it stood up to the test. Although I was not playing the guitar with too much vigour it was fine and lost no tune. A lot of people have been complaining about the tuners. Personally I have had no problem with them. My guitar only needs to be retuned after about two months which is not too much of a chore. Also as previously stated the finish is a bit thin and without the padded gig bag I have I do suspect that the guitar would soon start to show signs of damage. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is fantastic. Although I have only been playing two months and have very little guitar experience I have played many different guitars in the hunt for a steel strung varient, however I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the natural warm tones of this guitar. The only thing I wish it had (and I'm going to install) is an acoustic pickup. This is purely so I can still be heard properly when playing with my bassist and drummer. // 9

C40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2008

Features: I bought this classical guitar sometime in 2005 from my girlfriend's officemate. I am not so sure what year what this guitar was made, but according to the owner it stayed with her for four years, so maybe it was year 2001. The owner really loved this guitar, only that she can't play it nor appreciate it because she's a petite lady. So obviously her fingers are not suited for a classical guitars. It has 19 frets, laid on a rosewood fingerboard measuring 2.05 inches at the nut. The body is made up of spruce for it's top, and mahogany for it's back and sides. The finish is more of a glossy type, so it's so smooth. Although the tuners are made up of plastic, but I certainly disagree with others when they say they have a problem on this area. // 10

Sound: As of now I am playing bossa nova and the way this guitar projects its sound is quite good. I also play this guitar on our church and to tell you honestly, this guitar works very well in a room with good acoustics such as like that of a church. The sound is warm, and perfect for my style of play. Although if you want to amplify it you must use a decent microphone specified for guitars, condenser mics to be exact. Because I believe that classical guitars are meant to be amplified using microphones set up infront of its soundhole. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have read an article on guitar manufacturing and it says that most manufacturers intends to set a guitar's action a bit higher because it's quite easy to adjust saddle's height by lowering it with a file, than to raise it up. And due to temperature differences, its top may arch up or sink in time so it's up to the user to adjust it depending on his liking. Just like on my guitar. I removed it's saddle from the bridge and adjusted its height using a file. I wanted my axe to have a feel like that of an electric so I lowered it. It's up to you after all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I once played it Live during a mini Concert held in our place and as the Concert progressed I found no problems with it. But since it's a dreadnought classical, it has no electronic pickup with it. To compensate, I bought a transducer mic (the one with a suction cup) that looks like a stethoscope and connected it to my Boss GE-7 Equalizer then to the amp. The sound is so great! It's bright and clear, although my set-up may not be appealing to others because it's prone to mechanical noise. If you're a bit careful it will be just fine for you I guess. // 9

Overall Impression: A classical guitar at this price range is so damn good. The worksmanship is superb especially if it has a Yamaha name in it. I have tried playing some of guitars of this price range but nothing compares to my C40. If ever I will buy another guitar then I would choose this same brand, although I would look for a classical guitar from them with built in pickup system with it, a CGX171 maybe? But if plain guitar only without electronic devices, definitely I would still go for C40. // 10

C40 Reviewed by: qwertyguitar34, on february 18, 2011

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Yamaha shop

Features: So I'm not sure when the guitar was made, but I know its from indonesia. I'm not gonna complain that it has no strap buttons, cause its a classical, of course. There's not really a finish, per say, but there is a glossy coating. Wood: both the bridge and fingerboard are rosewood. spruce top, meranti sides. nato neck. The tuning machines are chrome. I'd say this is a pretty decent looking guitar, although lighter woods are more stylish, this dark wood is acceptable. The strings that came with it are great, but they had to be replaced withing a year or so, they started gettng pink. // 8

Sound: My style is mainly soft and classical. I play a lot of classical. I bought the guitar to fit it's classical purpose. The sound bright, and it can handle any thing from Jason mraz, to miley, to Francisco tarrega. The only downfall to the sound is: none, for me anyways. It is a cheap guitar, for a great sound. Soft, but can handle a variety of styles. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is somewhat high, even for a classical, I've played other classicals, and their strings are a bit lower. When playing around the twelfth fret, hammering takes more effort. The factory set up the strings quite well. They were locked pretty tight. The guitar has some very soft wood. I may feel like using a pick sometimes, and it gets scratched and dented pretty easily. I also have a couple of scratches, but that was just me being stupid.haha // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is quite reliable, sound wise. I have used it live at school talent shows and recitals. And I played solo, no back up. It is dependable, to the point where you start trying to hammer around the twelfth fret. With lots of playing, the wood will get scratched. // 7

Overall Impression: Again, I usually play soft and classical music.it is a good match. I've been playing for like years. I also own a Washburn mg-300 electric, my baby. If it were stolen, I would probably buy a different guitar. Not because this one sucks, but it is a starter guitar I've outgrown it. For now, it'll stay with me as my first ever guitar. // 8

C40 Reviewed by: shoestrings, on june 11, 2012

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2008 in China, the home of the cheap guitar. It has 19 frets, although realistically only 12 can be reached without the body of the guitar blocking your fingers. It has a spruce top, nato neck and rosewood fingerboard (I think the back and sides are meranti?). As a classical guitar, it has nylon strings. I got mine with a bag and a tuner (it came in a pack). No electronics. // 6

Sound: I got this as my starter guitar, and it suited the purpose well. It has a nice clean sound, and is pretty versatile considering the price. I must admit, it sounded a bit too twangy at first, but it sounds a lot better with age. It's a pretty quiet guitar, but I kinda like it like that, it has a calming vibe. I play mostly classical, country and blues and it stood up quite well to the challenge. (Note: I'm giving it this score based on the fact that it a cheap guitar. If you stood it up to a Taylor or a Martin, it would obviously get outclassed, but considering the price, it is an amazingly versatile instrument). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a gloss finish, which looks just fine on it. It was playable straight out of the box, perfectly set up (although, as I said before, it had a kind of twangy sound for a little while until it aged out of it). Had it for almost 4 years now, and never had to get it set up, it's always been fine. It's pretty amazing how it manages to stay in tune so well; I've left it lying around overnight, or left it propped in the corner for weeks on end and when I pick it up, it never needs more than a bit of a tweak, if at all. It's made incredibly well considering that it's a Chinese el cheapo. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is the most reliable guitar I've ever had. I treat my guitars pretty well, but as my cheapest one (I own a Gibson Les Paul 57 Reissue and a Breedlove Retro D/ER), it's been thrown around a bit. So far, it's so far proved impossible to break; not a single dent, and never suffered anything more than a light scratch on the back, which in itself is barely noticeable. I wouldn't use it in a live gig (it isn't THAT good sounding!), but it would easily survive one. I can definitely count on it, it's the guitar I take around when I'm scared of breaking my others. The finish is also made to last, never suffered anything more than a VERY light scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is amazing (in a value for money sense). It plays pretty well for the cheapest guitar in the shop, is made to last, despite being a Chinese el cheapo, can definitely take a hit. I wish it's sound was a bit better (I had to get a Breedlove, as this couldn't keep up with me), but it served me well as a started guitar. If it was stolen, I'd find whoever took it and steal it back; I'm quite attached to the thing. Great all rounder guitar and I'd definitely recommend it as a starter. // 8

Comments