CPX5S review by Yamaha

Yamaha: CPX5S

Purchased from: The Sound Garden

I mainly play rock and blues. This definately fits the bill. I don't usually use an amp with this because mine's awful. However when played with a fairly decent amp it creates a rather nice sound. That's until you turn up the bass. Then it becomes an amazing sound. The depth of tone is incredible. Even unplugged this guitar has a very powerful warm and mellow yet edgy bass tone. The higher notes sound bright and cheery. Essentially a fantastic tone.

I love this guitar. It is my pride and joy. I've been playing for about two years now and my dad convinced me to get this guitar instead of the Fender DG14SCE I was aiming for. One of the best decisions ever. If this were lost or stolen I might buy something else but thats just me, I like variety. I would not see this as a begginers guitar. The price tag is a good indicator" RRP of 555 pounds: P. But if you've been playing a while and want a good electro-acoustic below the Gibson margin this is a good choice. Before I got this I dismissed Yamaha as Jap-crap, now I put full Faith in their instruments (if you can pay the price).

Apperently I play acoustic guitars agressively and this seems to hold up fine. I would definately gig with it. It is reliable and well built. The downside is the beautiful blue birst finish shows up pick scratches quite badly and I cant help getting finger prints all over it.

The action and finish are perfect, nearly as good as my electric. It really is a joy to play. No faults at all.

This guitar was made in Taiwan. 20 frets, uses X bracing, this particular one has a spruce top and has been given a blue burst finish and if you care about the wood grain, its plain. Cream and black binding, cutaway body. Has an active onboard pre-amp powered by a 9v battery. Controls for volume, high/mid/low equalizer and another thingy which says AMF beneath it. I got a hardcase free with this.