CPX5S Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 10/02/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Yamaha: CPX5S
It offers the Yamaha Compass silhouette, smooth neck action, and the addition of a solid Spruce top. This model takes the Yamaha CPX design one step further for the discerning player by including, in addition to first-class workmanship, the tonal enhancements of a solid Spruce top.
 Features: 9.5
 8.9
 9.5
 8.3
 2,460
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
CPX5S Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2006

Purchased from: The Sound Garden

Features: This guitar was made in Taiwan. 20 frets, uses X bracing, this particular one has a spruce top and has been given a blue burst finish and if you care about the wood grain, its plain. Cream and black binding, cutaway body. Has an active onboard pre-amp powered by a 9v battery. Controls for volume, high/mid/low equalizer and another thingy which says AMF beneath it. I got a hardcase free with this. // 9

Sound: I mainly play rock and blues. This definately fits the bill. I don't usually use an amp with this because mine's awful. However when played with a fairly decent amp it creates a rather nice sound. That's until you turn up the bass. Then it becomes an amazing sound. The depth of tone is incredible. Even unplugged this guitar has a very powerful warm and mellow yet edgy bass tone. The higher notes sound bright and cheery. Essentially a fantastic tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and finish are perfect, nearly as good as my electric. It really is a joy to play. No faults at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Apperently I play acoustic guitars agressively and this seems to hold up fine. I would definately gig with it. It is reliable and well built. The downside is the beautiful blue birst finish shows up pick scratches quite badly and I cant help getting finger prints all over it. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. It is my pride and joy. I've been playing for about two years now and my dad convinced me to get this guitar instead of the Fender DG14SCE I was aiming for. One of the best decisions ever. If this were lost or stolen I might buy something else but thats just me, I like variety. I would not see this as a begginers guitar. The price tag is a good indicator" RRP of 555 pounds: P. But if you've been playing a while and want a good electro-acoustic below the Gibson margin this is a good choice. Before I got this I dismissed Yamaha as Jap-crap, now I put full Faith in their instruments (if you can pay the price). // 10

CPX5S Reviewed by: Strongbow, on october 02, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: Made in Asia somewhere not sure where, I bought it last year and again not sure of the date. 20 frets and I got it in the violin sunburst. it's an electro acoustic so it has the EQ settings etc low/mid/high which is powered by a 9v battery which I've never had to replace Mother of pearl dot inlays. I got a free Hiscox case with it for free. All you would need. // 10

Sound: I play most genres and I use this guitar if I just want to pickup and play. It sounds great wether it be damien rice, the beatles or Blink 182, whatever I can throw at it. it's a very full deep sounding guitar. When I plug it in it sounds amazing, with reverb even better. I'm using it through an AVT 50, Boss CE-5 and DD-3, and it sounds great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It played perfectly from the shop, I haven't adjusted anything, haven't wanted/needed to. The finish is really nice, although is prone to finger marks and some pick marks, but their rarely noticable. I have knocked this guitar a few times and now has a mark on the body and on the neck, only two, but it should be a lot more. I've banged this thing all over and it's done well it withstand it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definately, I'd play this live, not without a backup just out of precation. The hardware looks good after a year and a half of playing everyday, some minor fret wear but that's to be expected. The finish is still good but like I said has some minor scratches, I'd recommend a clean every now and again keep it looking good. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything on this guitar and it plays well and sounds just fine with anything. I wish it had more frets but most acoustics don't have more than 20 or so. I own a Fender Telecaster and the gear I said earlier and I've never felt the need to replace my acoustic and I have a habbit of buying things and wanting others weeks after. I'd recommend this guitar to some one looking for a good intermediate guitar even professional. This guitar will last me along time I don't plan to be buying a new acoustic till after uni I hope. I compared to a more expensive Taylor, a Takamine and a Tanglewood, I preferred this one. I don't hate anything, I love this thing. Try it out it's a great guitar. // 10

Comments