CPX700 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: CPX700

I normally play electric guitar and I play rock, blues rock, classic rock, and most of the "true" metals (I.e Thrash, Death, Black, Heavy etc.). But I've started learning clean a while ago and I wanted to start playing acoustic as well, so I went to the store and picked this thing up, played around with it. If you are looking for a wonderful guitar for a good price, this is it. It is noisy if I plug it into my amp and turn on the distortion, otherwise not. The sound is quite full with a touch of brightness to it. It is an acoustic guitar, so it sounds like an acoustic guitar. Pinch harmonics don't go down well but natural harmonics sound great. The one thing I dislike is that when you want to play through an amp you need to turn all the settings on the pickup all the way up, otherwise it wont give off much sound. Therefore I give it a 9.

I play rock, blues, blues rock, metal and some country or acoustic rock (if there is such a thing). It suits my playing, the neck is amazing, smooth on the back an fits my hand like a glove. If it was stolen I would defenetely not hesitate to buy a new one. This guitar is great for the price. I played a few Taiwanese Takamines and a few Epiphones in the shop, the Yamaha beat them all.

This guitar will defenetely withstand live playing, I already have played live with it. The hardware is quality stuff and I do not think it will break down. The strap buttons are great, I have problems pulling off the strap (which is a good thing because the strap wont fall off when you stand up).

The finish looks like it's going to last. The set up was fine and I haven't changed anything with the guitar since I bought it. The top is solid so it is not bookmatched and the bridge is routed perfectly. There are no flaws on this guitar that I have noticed, the pickguard (see thru) is mounted perfectly, the bridge is where it is supposed to be, so are the tuners and the nut. Since I haven't found any flaws and the finish seems to last I am giving it a 9.

I don't know the year it was made. But it is made in China (don't be fooled by where it comes from because it sounds amazing). There are 20 frets on a bound rosewood fretboard. Don't know the size of the frets. One thing I must say is that this guitar has the smoothest neck that I have ever played on, fits my hands perfectly, even though I have quite small hands (no I am not a chick). The woods in the guitar are Nato on the back and sides and the front is solid spruce. The bridge is also made from rosewood and there is a piezo pickup under it. The guitar is a cutaway that looks somewhat like an oversized les paul. It didn't come with anything when I bought it. The tuners are non-locking but my guitar rarely goes out of tune (with emphasis on rarely).