F310 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: F310

Quality sound! I was at a party at the weekend and a guy had a Vintage something or other that he paid J600 for, thought it was the best thing ever, but the sound didn't compare to my Yamaha. It's so bright and clear, I can't get over how good it sounds.

This is the second F310 I've bought since the first one had a very bad accident and the neck was smashed off, but I went out and got another one straight away cos it plays and sounds so, so good! And it looks the s--t too. Despite the durability issue with the finish, this is by far the best beginner guitar ever. I've shown my friends how to play and when they buy their first guitar I recommend it straight away, and I've heard many a good word about it.

Falls down big time here. The finish chips too easy. Mine actually has dent in the side! But it has taken some serious falls and hasn't broken, so I'll give it that. I've noticed a minor crack behind the neck, but it's old enough now (4 years) and it has taken serious abuse (baggage handlers in a crappy vinyl case with no support / alcoholic mishandling etc). When you spit on it and give it a rub with a cloth it shines up nice though. I've found that the fingerboard has grooves in it from playing, don't think that'd happen on an ebony fingerboard, and also the frets have dents in and around the 2-3-4 areas. I've been practicing a lot!

Strings are a little high, I sanded down the bridge a little to fix this, but then I got some fret buzz, so a very thin paper shim was put in under this and it was perfect again. Strap pin is useless. Tuners are ok, some too loose, some too tight! But it holds a tune for ages!

20 jumbo frets, dunno about the rest.