F310 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: F310

Purchased from: Fairdeal Music

The Yamaha F310 has a fantastic sound for a budget guitar and blows away the similarly priced competition in my opinion. It has a rich, clear sound with nice, powerful bass which stands up well to both chord strumming and fingerstyle. It may not be ideal if you wish to learn classical guitar, but for acoustic fingerstyle the tone is wonderful.

I've been playing electric guitar for several years now and was inspired to take up the acoustic after discovering Andy McKee on YouTube. I bought the Yamaha after a few weeks of internet trawling to find an inexpensive guitar with a decent sound. Having now owned it for about half a year, I can safely say that I am very glad that I chose this guitar. I imagine you'd have to pay a lot more to find a guitar which could produce the quality of sound that you can get from the F310; from my experience, it's the best in class by far. I'd definitely buy another one if this one were to go missing.

The finish will stand up to minor knocks without any problems and I've managed to keep the rest of the body clear of damage over the 6 months that I've owned it. Admittedly, it rarely leaves the house, and on the occasions that it has, it's been in a gig bag and travelled in the lap of luxury. I would imagine that harsher use would bring superficial damage, but structurally it seems sound.

When I unpacked the guitar, I noticed a pretty significant dent in the back edge, near the strap peg. I decided to live with it as it didn't affect the quality of the sound, and this flaw hasn't become any worse. The action of the guitar was quite high initially. I shaved a couple of millimeters from the base of the bridge insert having guestimated how much height I could afford to lose. Fortunately I guestimated perfectly and the strings are now very low with no fret buzz at all. This suggests to me that the frets and fingerboard are accurately set up, even though the height at which they initially set the strings might lead you to believe otherwise. You will also need to Switch the strings for a better quality set to truly appreciate the tone.

I bought the guitar new about 6 months ago but I'm not sure how long it had been in the shop prior to that. I played the display model, but took away a boxed one, having heard how consistently good these guitars are.